stihl 029 as a first chainsaw?

Maxnaggle

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally i want a 346xp but realistically i dont think i could afford one right now, so was just wondering what the 029 is like? seems more in my price range, and the specs dont seem to be far off the 346xp either.

any more info would be useful ! thanks

stick to the 346xp unless u can wait for the new husky 550xp.. but even then id say get a tried and tested 346xp.

i cant really afford a brand new saw though - which is why i was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the 029 or ms290 - as far as specs go its got slightly more power than the 346xp but weighs in at a 6 kilos which is 1 more than the husky.... which i can deal with to be honest ! ive read a few reviews online all seem pretty good,

i cant really afford a brand new saw though - which is why i was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the 029 or ms290 - as far as specs go its got slightly more power than the 346xp but weighs in at a 6 kilos which is 1 more than the husky.... which i can deal with to be honest ! ive read a few reviews online all seem pretty good,

Hi there, Some people don't seem to understand that people cannot afford new sometimes....

Is there any reason that you picked the 029 saw?

These are not a pro user saw, and these are a clam shell engine.

An 026 would be better choice, plenty of spares out there, pro saw and within your budget of second hand :)

thanks ! the reason i picked the 029 was because the specs were similar to the 346 (which everyone recomends), without costing nearly as much, and i read somewhere that the 029 wasn't for professional use, wondered why that was...

whats a clam shell engine (out of interest)

and is that the reason people would recomend a 026 over a 029?

thanks for the replies!

If you're happy with good secondhand then it's worth dropping Spudulike of this forum a message. He has a fair selection of models which he rebuilds for sale. They've been thoroughly gone over, which takes a lot of the risk out of buying secondhand.

026/MS260 is designed for hard work in a way that the 029 isn't. If money is tight so you're limited to one saw, it's worth working out what you think you are most likely to do with it - if it's all small stuff and lots of cuts then something of this size would be ideal. If it's bigger stuff then an 034/036 might suit better as it will run a slightly bigger bar (~18in) which makes ringing up a lot quicker and easier. Sorry, can't comment on the Husky equivalent as I've never had one (nothing against them, just ended up with Stihls).

Alec

I was just going to say try Spud, I would also say a good Husky will last you years but I am a little bias but thats only from experience and mine are still going strong, all be it not used as much now but there were & never let me down.

Good luck, just remember a cheap saw is not always a cheap saw!