Ive hit a wall

YoGi_93

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be hard on yourself, its all about taking the time to adapt to being high up a tree. Small steps out on limb walks allowing yourself to have steady footing and feel balanced and secure. I know a few times when ive stripped a pine to a straight pole ive thought 'i wonder if i double gaffed out i would hit the ground'. Its called self preservation, but trust your gear and knots and take it slowly, no need to try to be like you see in the ISA TCC videos, Frictionhitchery or Spiderjackery. There experienced climbers who compete.

Low slow, safe and steady.

P.S try top get an experienced climber to come give you a hand. It will help.

Ian

I'm happy in trees with lots of branches, and going through with my Silkys (I'm not ticketed for chainsaw in trees). Lots of branches kind of make me feel cosy. Almost like they will all break my fall on the way down! But I'm also ok on rock with very little of anything to grab. At the moment, though, I've been looking at this great big tree in a wood near me that's now a pole with big stubs..... and I'm going to go an climb it. But because there'll be so little between me and the ground (plenty of air, that's all), I'm expecting a whole different sensation! :)

Ian thanks for that I've got a good idea. Ill try to find a climber to have a go with. I dougbt any of the lads at work will be up for climbing on their day off though.

Pedroski that's exactly how i feel. I feel more vulnerable without branches around me. The beech i had trouble on has a giant fork about 15 foot up so after that not only is there no branches but it is at quite an angle too...

IME, most fear is irrational and can be thought through.

You need to just stop and think it through. What can happen??, your gear will take something like 3 tonnes before it even begins to fail, so the loads your putting on it with your weight are nothing. Any fear you feel is totally irrational and just need getting your head round, IMO.

Its like spiders, the fear of them in our country is nonsense, they are the ones who should be afraid of us.

IME, most fear is irrational and can be thought through.

You need to just stop and think it through. What can happen??, your gear will take something like 3 tonnes before it even begins to fail, so the loads your putting on it with your weight are nothing. Any fear you feel is totally irrational and just need getting your head round, IMO.

Its like spiders, the fear of them in our country is nonsense, they are the ones who should be afraid of us.

Thats exactly why im not giving up with it I know my gear will take it. As has been said I just need someone to push me and talk me through everything whilst im climbing. So basically are you saying if my head goes wobbly again just stop where I am and think everything through to re assure myself?

Thats exactly why im not giving up with it I know my gear will take it. As has been said I just need someone to push me and talk me through everything whilst im climbing. So basically are you saying if my head goes wobbly again just stop where I am and think everything through to re assure myself?

Yes, exactly that, just think about how strong the gear is and the fact that you can't possibly fall. Talk yourself through the fact that the fear has no real basis in reality.

Yogi,

Was climbing yesterday on an easy sycamore, after xmass exercise. Got to the top and wrapped my legs round trunk and my boot lace clip locked, one boot into the other. There was no one around. Bit of panic set in. tried everything to undo the lace. More panic. Took silky out and cut laces. Climbing on you own can be a bit eerie. Ok if all is well. Best have someone there. Xmass pudd is well gone now. Take it slowly. Dont be afraid to go back down and use a different way up. Take care, best of luck and hang on in..

ear problems can really mess you up, also hangovers aint so great.....,but also not having your mind on the job, poor sleep etc can make what should be a easy tree appear stressful and ruin technique.

Also climbing with a mate is fun, when i was at collage we use to muck about setting up targets, talking through new techniques, egging each other on. its a good crack.

Edited by skyhuck
language