How do I avoid hassle?

Daniël Bos

I once rented a field to a woman like that. She was supposed to only keep a couple of hourses in a 9acre field, but she kept collecting them until she had 7 horses, 10 sheep, 4 cows. Then she refused to pay the rent, or move.

The solution...

I turned off the water, then phoned the RSPCA and told them that the horses didn't have any water.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got asked to quote a hedgelaying job by one of my best customers. The guy is good for about half my winter-work and I've got him booked for some work for next winter already as well. He's a thouroughly decent bloke, and pays on time, (he even offered to pay in advance).

Trouble is, the hedge is along a field he's rented to a horsey lady:sneaky2:

Her tenancy is up, but she's refusing to leave as she has nowhere to put the 25 or so horses she keeps on the 5 acres.:001_huh:

They seem to have got to a dead end in face-to-face comms and going to court. Now he's asked me to lay the hedge going around the field as it'll improve the overall looks (neglected quagmire) and prove some of his good intentions to the court and the village (ashwell, rutland)

For me to do the work I'd need to be in the field though, and keep the horses at least 20ft away for their sake and the piles of brash I'll create.

My main question is, how do I avoid hassle from the horsey-lady?

All normal common courtesies will be applied ofcourse so no need to tell me to be polite and friendly, I always am:sneaky2:, but have you any other tips for keeping her off my back?

Thanks, Daniel

I believe the issue is between the owner of the property and the renter or "horsey-lady". Although you wish to continue to serve your customer for the present and the future, IMO he has left you to deal with a situation that should be his responsibility to address in the first place being the land owner.

Based on your description of the "horsey-lady I believe a sit down with all Three parties is in order. If no decision can be reached after such a meeting politely excuse yourself from this project. Common sense may prevail after this meeting. If not I would not spend any more additional emotional capital to resolve the matter which is clearly between the owner/ "horsey-lady".

easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy

By the way do you drive a burgundy rover rover??? :001_smile:

No, a blue 75 estate, cost me £1250 4 years and 100K miles ago, I love it.

I believe the issue is between the owner of the property and the renter or "horsey-lady". Although you wish to continue to serve your customer for the present and the future, IMO he has left you to deal with a situation that should be his responsibility to address in the first place being the land owner.

easy-lift guy

You're quite right, as usual Ted. It's just that he's the best customer I could ever dream of and he'll probably sort it. He's not left me to deal with the situation but I'd like to be prepared for the woman though as the customer needs to stay friendly and civil with her because they have a court-case coming up and he wants the job done before that.

A old metal cistern with lid welded on will keep fencer safe.

Good idea, thanks.

Call the big man:)

Will he be allowed out on bail you think?

I think i would go with the Herras fencing security style of fencing that is used at concerts etc

Of course when you start the chipper up to chip any brash the noise from that should have them all running to the other end of the field

It's about 350 meters of rough terrain, heras would cost a fair penny I fear.

I don't have or use a chipper. I normally can leave the brash for the customer to deal with, a quick sweep with a loader and a huge bonfire at completion is usually the easiest for them and me.