Flipping customers.....ggrrrrrrr

Pedroski

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU need to dictate payment terms at the quotation stage, not the invoice stage.

My mate did this with the biggest Tescos in the NE for a small fencing job. The manager then came out with all the 6 month crap after the fence was up.

He said he'd take it back down then, and started to, slowly! Tescos called the cops, who after listening to my mate told him to carry on. Tescos manager then ran back indoors and emerged with a cheque. They are scum.

Anyone letting people dictate ridiculous payment terms are idiots cutting their own throats.

Grow a set FFS.

Thats all well and good, but when they have your produce sold, you cant take it back, esp if you have not delivered direct to them, as no farmers do. They are also tied in to exclusivity contracts and loads of other heinous stuff. My old neighbour was nearly broken by them. He told them to f-off last year, best decision he ever made he reckons.

You can't run a business worrying about 1 or 2 late bills.

In the end they all get paid so knuckle down and get some money in the bank then you will be more chilled when someone makes you wait.

In fact- you probably won't even notice it

Fall out with the customer and thats a lot of hard work down the pan

Stephen Blair, thanks for the advice - it's something I'll definitely think about more. I know this bloke has the money to pay, and like you say, his holiday spending money for this coming week has taken priority over what he owes me for work he has already done. I'm really kicking myself now, but I let my guard down as he is a neighbour of a friend and was pretty easy going at the quote stage with no sourcing of other quotes to get my price down! Next time he'll have to be cash up front, and I'll be stating payment terms in no uncertain terms on other quotes.

Stephen Blair, thanks for the advice - it's something I'll definitely think about more. I know this bloke has the money to pay, and like you say, his holiday spending money for this coming week has taken priority over what he owes me for work he has already done. I'm really kicking myself now, but I let my guard down as he is a neighbour of a friend and was pretty easy going at the quote stage with no sourcing of other quotes to get my price down! Next time he'll have to be cash up front, and I'll be stating payment terms in no uncertain terms on other quotes.

If you said that to me I'd laugh and take my business else where.

Hahaha that may not get you the results you really want........I know I would be going straight to the next contractor if I was asked that.

You dont have to be in the slightest bit unfriendly or 'heavy' (for want of a better term), just make sure you either submit terms with the quote, or make it clear, in a pleasant manner, what your payment terms are, before you start the job. That way if your customer is expecting a week to pay, or 30 days etc etc you can either work this out with them, or budget for it.:001_smile:

Pedroski I wouldn't be so extreme with thus customer.

you will need to just speak to him, say that you expected him to pay straight away and feel uncomfortable being asked to wait 1 week, say you will allow him to date his cheque 1 week from now .

take control of the situation.

the end result is the same in his eyes but it is now your terms:)

If he is true to his word thus should not be a problem

Pedroski I wouldn't be so extreme with thus customer.

you will need to just speak to him, say that you expected him to pay straight away and feel uncomfortable being asked to wait 1 week, say you will allow him to date his cheque 1 week from now .

take control of the situation.

the end result is the same in his eyes but it is now your terms:)

If he is true to his word thus should not be a problem

Exactly.

You never know- he may even turn round and have a change of heart when he realises you arent in the same priviledged financial position as him, and pay up. Communication is (as always) the key.