Am I right?

Matthew Storrs

Right, heres the story, The other day I hired a !battery powered! 12m cherrypicker (niftylift) of the local hire company. We were going to use it to chog down a big pollarded Ash stem overhanging a barn, after about two hours of use the battery ran out and we had barely made an impression on the Ash.

Anyhow, because of this we were unable to complete the job and I had to pay staff still and obviously now I will have to get another machine in at my expense. I phoned the hire company up as soon as it ran flat and told them, it was only midday.

Now the problem is I am asking that they make a full refund to me but they are only offering half. Am I quite within my rights to demand a full refund as thanks to them I have lost a day plus money and as it was hired out for the day it should be able to do a days work, not two hours. What are your thoughts?

Cheers

they should have replaced or fixed ASAP

very similar happened to me when i hired a chipper locally,it broke down,but was about 3 in the afternoon,i did manage to clear the job that paid for it and took it to another job:sneaky2:

i had a quater of the hire fee back

We had a Mewp hire company cock up and send out a 32 metre machine once which wasn't good enough to complete the job. They sent out a 34 metre bronto to finish the job foc. I think your leverage is based on how much business you could put their way in the future. Or how many times youve used them before.

I know, its a tricky one, incidentally the chap who delivered it said to us it should do 12 ups and 12 downs, thought that sounded a bit pathetic but i could probably work with it, but we had only gone up and down twice and a bit of moving around at the top. The way i see it if you buy something and it doesn't work properly then you take it back you get a refund, not half a refund as it sort of half works, I don't see the reason should be any different for hiring. particularly as they ended up costing me money..

Right, heres the story, The other day I hired a !battery powered! 12m cherrypicker (niftylift) of the local hire company. We were going to use it to chog down a big pollarded Ash stem overhanging a barn, after about two hours of use the battery ran out and we had barely made an impression on the Ash.

Anyhow, because of this we were unable to complete the job and I had to pay staff still and obviously now I will have to get another machine in at my expense. I phoned the hire company up as soon as it ran flat and told them, it was only midday.

Now the problem is I am asking that they make a full refund to me but they are only offering half. Am I quite within my rights to demand a full refund as thanks to them I have lost a day plus money and as it was hired out for the day it should be able to do a days work, not two hours. What are your thoughts?

Cheers

I gues they have your deposit? but even so there are times in ones life when you have to RANT AND RAGE about things- sounds like this is one of those times- i wouldnt pay .