Log prices

welwell

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just coppied it from a list of wood weights and volumes!

Not sure what source you got it from or whether it is a conversion for sawn or round timber. Metric for hardwood has always been a bit of a no no and hoppus foot was always and still is a safer way of volume to weight, 25 -28 hoppus/ cubic feet of green oak to a ton.

Not sure what source you got it from or whether it is a conversion for sawn or round timber. Metric for hardwood has always been a bit of a no no and hoppus foot was always and still is a safer way of volume to weight, 25 -28 hoppus/ cubic feet of green oak to a ton.

my appoligies, just noticed the title of conversion table-"seasoned and dry" :blushing:

once had a run in with weights and measures about how we sold the wood,

we were selling it out of a one tonne pickup and sold it as a ton........... until some guy weighed every piece and reported us.

after a discussion with weights and measures over a cup of tea we were advised of the following

if you sell a product in quantity then you have to have a clear description

it must be sold by a recognised weight or volume

a van load or large bag is not a defined weight or volume.

they recommended i sell by the m3 and described as a loose split load, if i could not weigh it, but had to find a way to measure a m3.

we measured the truck and went from there.

this happened 8 years ago, in this time i have found out that 1 ton dumpy bags come in a variety of sizes and are not a m3, and the cubic meter vented bags are liable to stretching.

also wood sold by weight was never weighed and if it was then fresh wood was always on the bottom of the truck and nice dry stuff on top.

as this fuel gets more popular, the public will become wiser. cover your ar5e and just do it right. trading standards will either help you or persicute you.

i've only seen them once since and that was them asking me for advice

good luck

I would only ever sell wood by the "bag" or "load", if you go down the road of quantifying the amount of wood, you are leaving your self open to prosecution.

I know someone who felt they were getting short measure from their coal merchant.

They rang Trading Standards and they came and swept out the coal bunker before a delivery, they then weighed the delivered coal and sure enough the amount on the invoice did not match the derived amount.

He was prosecuted and had to pay a hefty fine, plus they would be breathing down his neck for many years to come.

If you state a volume or weight be sure your accurate.

One of your competitors could get his mum to place an order and ring T/S.

Yes , but how bigs the bag or load? Thats the first question youll get asked

the dumpy bags we use are 90x90x90..

our wood is sold by the bag full only

all customers know the weights of all bags when full min 235-max 300kg..

if all had of read previouse posts,i was saying the max weight on the rear of the van is 1800kg, this depended on which wood was supplyed..

there is no tools on board and only one person in the van..

lol:001_tt2:hope this can be the end of this discussion...

:001_cool::001_cool: