annoyed by highly qualified ..rubbsih climbers

Czlowiek Drzewo

Theres people working behind the tills in Aldi etc that get a better hourly rate than some tree lads I know!

When I was in college (about 13 years ago) we were getting told back then to expect £450-500 a week, I'm still waiting on that one :bored:

I would only ever use subby climbers that I already know so I have no experience in employing a newbie, although I have seen plenty over the years while working for other firms.

You can tell within about 10 minutes of someone getting up a tree whether there any good or not.

We used to train a few lads while on the job, the good ones would allways be asking if they could climb at any point in the day ie while they were on a break.

The poor ones used to say something like " err no I'm not climbing that since I dont get paid to climb yet"

"Yeah and you never will with that attitude", and that would be us just suggesting they have a climb (not do any cutting) while we supervised.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just out of interest, when someone applies to any of you guys for a job, do you not bother asking for references from any previous employers? Do you just take their word for it that they're the 'cat's pyjama's'?

Surely some onus has to be on you as an employer to ensure you're not being ripped off before you even get to the first day. Even give them a days trial to suss them out?

I can't speak for other newbies, but I wouldn't expect to be earning too much to start with. I think it is partly the trainers fault as, certainly at the college I attended, you are lead to believe that you earn a lot as a tree surgeon. And have you ever thought... if you've ever been employed in some dead end shop job (which I have, no offence meant) or dull office job where you get paid diddly, is it not fair to expect that, considering the amount of risk involved in arb, you might get paid a bit more? Obviously not as much as an experienced climber, but you know what I mean.

Just adding to the debate...

Maybe I was just older (yes) and wiser (hmmm) than the rest of the guys on my course.

Ditto. We have had that from our lecturers too. I maybe tempting getting ranted at at but I think it may be an age thing too. I think when you are a bit younger you have a little too much confidence and take what people say as gospel especially when it is complementary from peers such as tutors.

Ditto. We have had that from our lecturers too. I maybe tempting getting ranted at at but I think it may be an age thing too. I think when you are a bit younger you have a little too much confidence and take what people say as gospel especially when it is complementary from peers such as tutors.

Hey, there's no ranting going on here! Merely rather tepid debate!! :sneaky2:

this thread makes it sound like no newbies got a chance, or are going to be earning £50 a day!!

heres some hope to them

when i finished arb college a few years back-after a 3 month course, i was honest with the companies i spoke too, i had a week of trial days booked in at the end of the course(5 seperate companys) and got accepted by all of them (i know it helped that i had good refrences and an agricultural backround and had been working in conservation/agriculture since i left school, and wasnt shy of hard work-who can be in farming?!)

i had starting wages ranging from £65-£80 per day.

had 6 months with one company (£80perday), then moved away, at the next company, i started on £80 and within 3 months had been boosted to £100per day as they felt i had not only worked hard for it, but, more importantly was more than capable enough to deserve it

im not bragging, just trying to give hope and show current arb students that it is possible to earn good coin in under a year, IF you work hard, learn quickly, enjoy yourself, and are a natural to tree work

this thread makes it sound like no newbies got a chance, or are going to be earning £50 a day!!

Whats wrong with £50 per day? The dole is about £50 per week, do the maths!

I dont want to start a Monty Python shetch but I started out 8 years ago on £31 a day, and thats probably all I was worth. Until you have at least a years experience I'd take what you can get.

Whats wrong with £50 per day? The dole is about £50 per week, do the maths!

yeah thats fine, but (dependant on area) it doesnt leave you much-round this way cost of living is high-

at a guess:

tax£50pw, food£40pw, fuel£20, car insurance£20pw(dear if in first few years), social life£50(£3.00 pint!),even a room in a shared house is around £60pw! after general living expences, round here you wouldnt be left with much

if you want to save-new car/house deposit ect, youd struggle to make much headway!

i was trying to offer some hope to them!