annoyed by highly qualified ..rubbsih climbers

Czlowiek Drzewo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, us new guys have gotta start somewhere. Give us a break, huh? College is cosy and you're right, they don't teach you how to crown reduce or thin or whatever. They show you how to use a saw 'safely' and climbing technique. It's up to you experienced guys to show us how the jobs done. Surely you don't really expect anyone to come out of college and be fully confident at all aspects of the job? It takes a special teacher to instill confidence...

as you and several others have stated it up to experienced guys and gals to then show you how to go on and give you the experience but please boys and girls be realistic as to how much you could expect to earn in that time

i recently had a nice job dropping a couple of sycamores and prunning another 2 sycs i would have done the job in a day a chappy i know who is qualified but lacks experience had been asking if he could come on a proper job for experience so job sorted

i went up the 1st tree with him and talked him through positioning cutting techniques ect

spent all day there got 1 tree done how much should i pay him

or should he pay me

i went up the 1st tree with him and talked him through positioning cutting techniques ect

or should he pay me

If your teaching him then you shouldnt be paying him imo. Especially If it slows you down that much.

was trying to give him experience and be there to answer any questions and give encouragement

which is what a lot of recently qualified need though as stated they want top dollar in the meantime

i always believe i do not pay any lad that works for me it is the customer that pays there wage(through me)so they need to earn there money not just be there for the day

as you and several others have stated it up to experienced guys and gals to then show you how to go on and give you the experience but please boys and girls be realistic as to how much you could expect to earn in that time

i recently had a nice job dropping a couple of sycamores and prunning another 2 sycs i would have done the job in a day a chappy i know who is qualified but lacks experience had been asking if he could come on a proper job for experience so job sorted

or should he pay me

It could be worse bob a friend of mine advertised for a compatent climber the first bloke to come along assured him he had been doing it for ages and knew what he was doing so his first day he gave him a medium size oak to dismantle bloke got half way up and froze,cris seem to think he was crying as well..turns out he was straight out of college and the only trees he had climbed with a saw where the ones in his nptcs,typically though its the amount of bull sh!t people speel that gets there foot in a door but not good when you have put them in at the deep end and you have two guys on the ground waiting for some thing to do it will only happen once but i dont understand why people have to lie about there capabilities experience ect especially when they end up looking a tit as well....

I have no problems with teaching, i give my groundy who has done a year long arb course ,got good grades as much time as i can in trees but hes on the understanding im doing him a favour and he doesnt get paid more for the privalige and its only when we have time to spare and im feelin patient!

It could be worse bob a friend of mine advertised for a compatent climber the first bloke to come along assured him he had been doing it for ages and knew what he was doing so his first day he gave him a medium size oak to dismantle bloke got half way up and froze,cris seem to think he was crying as well..turns out he was straight out of college and the only trees he had climbed with a saw where the ones in his nptcs,typically though its the amount of bull sh!t people speel that gets there foot in a door but not good when you have put them in at the deep end and you have two guys on the ground waiting for some thing to do it will only happen once but i dont understand why people have to lie about there capabilities experience ect especially when they end up looking a tit as well....

I have no problems with teaching, i give my groundy who has done a year long arb course ,got good grades as much time as i can in trees but hes on the understanding im doing him a favour and he doesnt get paid more for the privalige and its only when we have time to spare and im feelin patient!

Lol what an idiot that guy is.

This is one of those jobs that you just cant b******t your way through. Someone will realise fairly quickly that you didnt take the tree down like you said you could :001_smile:

So just out of interest, when someone applies to any of you guys for a job, do you not bother asking for references from any previous employers? Do you just take their word for it that they're the 'cat's pyjama's'?

Surely some onus has to be on you as an employer to ensure you're not being ripped off before you even get to the first day. Even give them a days trial to suss them out?

I can't speak for other newbies, but I wouldn't expect to be earning too much to start with. I think it is partly the trainers fault as, certainly at the college I attended, you are lead to believe that you earn a lot as a tree surgeon. And have you ever thought... if you've ever been employed in some dead end shop job (which I have, no offence meant) or dull office job where you get paid diddly, is it not fair to expect that, considering the amount of risk involved in arb, you might get paid a bit more? Obviously not as much as an experienced climber, but you know what I mean.

Just adding to the debate...

Maybe I was just older (yes) and wiser (hmmm) than the rest of the guys on my course.

And have you ever thought... if you've ever been employed in some dead end shop job (which I have, no offence meant) or dull office job where you get paid diddly, is it not fair to expect that, considering the amount of risk involved in arb, you might get paid a bit more? Obviously not as much as an experienced climber, but you know what I mean.

Just adding to the debate...

Maybe I was just older (yes) and wiser (hmmm) than the rest of the guys on my course.

Unfortunately, as much as we big up our industry and train to death, we are really just cousins to the agricultural industry, where rock bottom wages are the norm.