annoyed by highly qualified ..rubbsih climbers

Czlowiek Drzewo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i spent the first year dragging, watching, chipping, tea making and generally taking in the whole experience in at a firm, its taken a whole bunch of years to become confident enough to go free-lance. Ive met ALOT of climbers who blagg the hell out of them selves only to come up short and cause accidents or break stuff!!

I remember being a greenstick, I was crap at everything and I broke lots of kit. I had major b*ll*kins. Lots of them. One day it clicked , I was good enough to say bye and go my own way.

I have had numerous trainees , some where better than others but they all got a major B*ll*kins for good reasons. I even ripped the radio out the van dash cos one preferred music to chainsaws. The latest work experience ND student has not asked for more work after the summer. I set high standards and he just didn't want to try to achieve them. Tree work is your life not a way to look cool at the pub. I may be too old school for these young pretenders, but a hard job needs hard lessons.

Tree climbers successfully completing a practical qualification at a college, could come from a variety of backgrounds. Experience is a time and aptitude component, mixed with a "work ethic".

Current assessments do not include experience. I view all the qualifications as learners permits, as the "bar" is set low for entry level. That qualification should allow them to work under the supervission of an experienced climber, or gain their experience at their own pace elsewhere. Trainers would serve their trainees well, if they were to instill that concept when preparing them for the work place. There may be room for a "trade / Production qualification" if in time they are involved in production work and are able to demonstrate their experience.

Putting an hourly value for a tree climber is difficult because what tasks I give him are probably very different to what a tree company down the road asks of him, let alone across the state or country.

Graeme McMahon

Hey, us new guys have gotta start somewhere. Give us a break, huh? College is cosy and you're right, they don't teach you how to crown reduce or thin or whatever. They show you how to use a saw 'safely' and climbing technique. It's up to you experienced guys to show us how the jobs done. Surely you don't really expect anyone to come out of college and be fully confident at all aspects of the job? It takes a special teacher to instill confidence...

here here