annoyed by highly qualified ..rubbsih climbers

Czlowiek Drzewo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to bump an old thread but I just read it through and want to add my bit.

I went from 8 years in an office getting massivly overpaid to go and work in the trees. I had six months "gardening leave" so I decided that I would try and learn the ropes. Phoned all the local companies and offered myself for buttons basically. All said no experience = no work or no certificates = no work.

So I went and got myself qualified upto areal rescue. I only wanted groundie work to try and learn how to deal with all the different types of trees.

After doing my certs I still failed to get work even at below minimum wage so I started doing some of my own.

I did friends and family first for free (Still getting paid from office job). Learned a little as I went along, read books etc. Whenever I had a bigger tree I would employ and watch the climbers while ground working for them.

Been two years now since I set up on my own and I feel I am getting better. I thaught I was the dogs nads at the start but now when I see some of my old work I hang my head in shame :P..... I am only guessing that the work I am doing now that I think is good quality will be looked back on with a touch of disgust.

Gradually though myself and my groundie (Plucked from the dole queue and sent to train CS courses) are learning the job.

It is not something that you can learn from books. It is not something that can really be taught.... There seems to be a lot of instinct and a lot of non verbal teamwork with a huge chunk of hard graft.

I still would not hire myself out for more than £120 a day or £190 with groundie or £235 with chipping gear. That comes with insurance and disposal of waste!

It truly is a very tough industry but the rewards are just physical and mental NOT financial

I went from 8 years in an office getting massivly overpaid to go and work in the trees. I had six months "gardening leave" so I decided that I would try and learn the ropes. Phoned all the local companies and offered myself for buttons basically. All said no experience = no work or no certificates = no work.

So I went and got myself qualified upto areal rescue. I only wanted groundie work to try and learn how to deal with all the different types of trees.

After doing my certs I still failed to get work even at below minimum wage so I started doing some of my own.

I did friends and family first for free (Still getting paid from office job). Learned a little as I went along, read books etc. Whenever I had a bigger tree I would employ and watch the climbers while ground working for them.

Been two years now since I set up on my own and I feel I am getting better. I thaught I was the dogs nads at the start but now when I see some of my old work I hang my head in shame :P..... I am only guessing that the work I am doing now that I think is good quality will be looked back on with a touch of disgust.

Gradually though myself and my groundie (Plucked from the dole queue and sent to train CS courses) are learning the job.

It is not something that you can learn from books. It is not something that can really be taught.... There seems to be a lot of instinct and a lot of non verbal teamwork with a huge chunk of hard graft.

I still would not hire myself out for more than £120 a day or £190 with groundie or £235 with chipping gear. That comes with insurance and disposal of waste!

It truly is a very tough industry but the rewards are just physical and mental NOT financial

Takes a lot of guts to turn your life around like that. I take my hat off to you.

Sounds like your really enjoying the arb life, well in:thumbup1: and err can I have your old job please :001_tongue:

Sounds like you grabbed the bull by the horns Mr Bish.

I don't think i explained myself right way back on page 2. My boss only comes out with that for teh climbers who state that they are the be all and end all and want super high wages. if you come along and say you are new you get a chance to show your ability to learn and potential. noone is perfect straight from college (at all really).

Right at the start you should be on teh ground learning how a saw works before you get in a tree. learning how different woods react etc. bit of time on teh ground learning the skills involved on terra firma then think about climbing

Jamie

Strong words there Martyn1, you're right....you can have all the qualifications under the sun but its good experience that matters. Finding a good climber is not an easy job, and when you do find one there's nearly always something else wrong with them.

I know a great climber who doesn't even have a basic driving licence!

For god's sake Martyn! get a bloody licence! There's loads of driving schools in Glasgow!

car-2.jpg

Ha,ha,ha. I know Tim it is about time i got around to it ..should have done it first before going into treework.

Give me till next Summer and i will have it done and dusted.

Wouldn't say i am Great Climber. I would say i have lots to learn.

6 months Gardening leave???? please explain. haha .....

and £235 for 2 blokes and a chipper??? and waste disposal? can you come and work with me full time??? hahaha

Hey Im just getting into the business, well two years as a groundsman in Canada-even through the winters... But now I`m back in the uk I`m planning on going to some training courses. I`ve climbed 60ft trees in a 35mph wind, ive felled 60-70 ft trees in between houses, ive busted my balls lifting 200+lb logs of wet elm into the truck all day. I can do tough I just cant do qualified...yet. You wanna give me a job Martyn1 I`ll make you money if you pay well.