Freelance knowhow??

Arran Turner

'its a tough job but you wont make anywhere near the same money as an employed climber or groundsman'

..by that I assume you mean you will earn MORE than an employed climber or groundie?!

I've been a freelance climber for about the last 8 or 9 years. Its not much different from being on the cards really. Yes, you get a better day rate, but take off your insurance, PPE, tools, vehicle and no holiday or sick pay and its not much more of an earner than an employed climber.

That said, I couldn't work for the same firm day in day out, it would drive me nuts!. You can earn good money if your reliable, quick and your work is to a high standard. People do take the pee sometimes..I often do a day and a halfs work in one day to get a job done for someone and don't even expect a 'drink'...you won't get one!.

Get your tools squared away and some experience under your belt, charge a fair rate and don't try and do jobs above your ability level and you'll do alright.

Bag of Chaff for an "Arb Stallion" mate:001_smile:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a good climber doesn't hump timber and sweep up, he'll only work for me once.

I think I'm pretty fair to work for, and I don't reward early finishes with 3 hours down the log yard. Job and knock, but it's a team effort.

The two climbers I use most, Rich Rule and Ross Smith, are also two of the best groundies I have worked with. Pure graft all the way, because we all love the bit where we finish and get paid.

VAT limit? Righto.

If a good climber doesn't hump timber and sweep up, he'll only work for me once.

I think I'm pretty fair to work for, and I don't reward early finishes with 3 hours down the log yard. Job and knock, but it's a team effort.

The two climbers I use most, Rich Rule and Ross Smith, are also two of the best groundies I have worked with. Pure graft all the way, because we all love the bit where we finish and get paid.

VAT limit? Righto.

too right,at the worst a quick fag then muck in!

You can start out as self employed and being subbed in to a firm a few days a week.just doing normal stuff.Then fill in the extra days by calling round all the Tree firms in your area and asking.Or doing a bit of what ever to pay the bills.I used to call round the firms if I wanted a bit of Saturday work.

I used to charge £120 for a Sat and £150 for a Sunday.This was over ten years ago and was Cash.

You could provide the option of bringing your own Ground Saws,maybe a Pickup and even a Chipper.Just depends on who your market is.

Reputation is your biggest advertisment.

Ahhhhh.

That's why you had to leave the country then....

:001_tt2:

i came out of college, and went straight in to freelance work (there wasnt any other work to be had!).

i was on the ground for the big jobs and climbing for the littler ones, slowly i built up my confidence, now i climb most days and have booked up almost a month ahead which i consider good! i love the variety of working for different people.

i haven't ever worked for someone where the tree gets done and i go home and nor would i. i stay and muck in and pick up a rake with the others. a good climber is a good groundy, a good groundy loves to graft!