What is seasoned?

Dave Martin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything around 25% and under. Sold two loads to the local pub and watched it burn tonight, looked and felt perfect. The logs were between 20% and 25%.

I take it you weren't doing the hot coals walking to judge the perfect feel or were you referring to the barmaid? On open fires I'd go for more how the wood spits. In a stove you can stick a thermometer on the side so you can easily see that wet wood drops the temperature by a good 20C.

As for my own offering, nothing over 20%. Hardwood cord cut one year, split next and sold the following year so it tends to range 12% to 18% on the meter.

I agree totally. Its fine if you are dealing with smaller quantities to be treating each log like a baby, but I dont think its feasable with large m3.

The main thing is to be honest with customers, and its their choice after that.

I agree. Don't claim that its seasoned then you can't be knocked off your perch!

Why do people say ash is good to burn straight away if it is going to be over 25%?

Usually because they dont understand that burning any green wood is not efficient, and will still tar the chimney.

It just so happens that ash will burn green and is readily available so many people are led to think its a good wood to burn!:001_rolleyes:

What about wood that is seasoned but wet from rain?

Also maybe my moisture meter isn't very good but I have stuff which is very well seasoned in a shed and that's about 20%. Don't see how you could get it any drier at this time of year without a heated building/kiln? And even then unless you kept it in the house it would soak up moisture again

up here you would be doing very well to get below about 16% however you dry it.

as others have said a moisture meter and burning some yourself is the best test.

about 22% is the cut off point for me. above that i keep it back....below that it is fit for sale. most of my wood goes out at around 18%.

there are so many people selling fresh felled timber around me that 22% is SAHARAN to most customers.

All my hardwood stock currently going out is 22-25%, i would like it drier but i didnt have the funds in place to buy it till april so its only been drying since the start of may. I have another 40cube that was bought in July, thats was at 26-29% last time i had batteries in my meter about 6 weeks ago. When the time comes ill will offer it forsale and let people know the situation.

Some of that stock is getting put in nets next week and stacked in my empty polly tunnel, which i am hoping will enable me to sell it to the net market after christmas.

Personally i think 25% is the accepted cut off point, but maybe next year when and if i have some of this years stock left and its less than 20% maybe ill change my mind and become more snobby! ;-)

I was at my suppliers on Monday, the nets being prepared for CPL were green hardwood direct from the processer or green softwood direct from the processer.

I have also tested my local garages softwood and again off the clock on my meter so 39%+! the crap some people pay £6.40 for is amazing!!!

I was told some time ago by a proper old-timer that the trees they used tu cut were always felled in late spring/early summer and then left for a month or so before snedding and processing further.

The reasoning was that the trees in full leaf would desperately try and stay alive and pulled much of the moisture out of the wood as they were just in full leaf. They'd then cut them after the leaves had died off.

I don't know how much moisture would be removed but I'd guess a fair bit?

Anyone tried this?

(sorry for the derail)

I was told some time ago by a proper old-timer that the trees they used tu cut were always felled in late spring/early summer and then left for a month or so before snedding and processing further.

The reasoning was that the trees in full leaf would desperately try and stay alive and pulled much of the moisture out of the wood as they were just in full leaf. They'd then cut them after the leaves had died off.

I don't know how much moisture would be removed but I'd guess a fair bit?

Anyone tried this?

(sorry for the derail)

Yes the same was done when summer felling Sycamore for furniture timber, the leave continue to transpire (is that the right term??) so most of the sap is draw out reducing the chance of staining.