Mans best friend! On site??

Arran Turner

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Find that very hard to believe. Has anyone got the know how to find the law on it? I fear it might be one of those "all knives are illegal in public places" (actually had that said to me by a PC) laws...

What the nice WPC said was three legal methods to have dogs restrained in a vehicle and good to see a sensible person instead of some of the people who could not care less.:blushing:

1. In an approved transport box like the Police/RSPCA/Security Firms use.

2. Behind an approved grill in an estate type vehicle.

3. Wearing a dog harness which is connected to normal seat belts when on seats.

A local lad used to move his two sheep dogs in the open back of a Toyota Hilux but one fell out and was run over from a following bus. Needless to state he was distressed and also taken to court. It's often man's and woman's best friend so not much hassle to spend a few pounds on a harness instead of splattered on the inside of the windscreen if emergency braking.:thumbdown:

What the nice WPC said was three legal methods to have dogs restrained in a vehicle and good to see a sensible person instead of some of the people who could not care less.:blushing:

1. In an approved transport box like the Police/RSPCA/Security Firms use.

2. Behind an approved grill in an estate type vehicle.

3. Wearing a dog harness which is connected to normal seat belts when on seats.

Having spoken to three friends, all professional dog trainers, no-one has heard of that. It might be law, just unknown, but I doubt it.

Having spoken to three friends, all professional dog trainers, no-one has heard of that. It might be law, just unknown, but I doubt it.

I have friends in the Police dog units and one said is the case and RSPCA would also do the person. I used to take all the shepherds when puppies to training and the person would give much verbal abuse to people who turned up without one on. (Called them D*******S)

It's also good common sense is it not?:001_rolleyes: (instead risking an accident from distraction and hurting the dog?

These cost less than a good leather lead and are a sound investment.

I have friends in the Police dog units and one said is the case and RSPCA would also do the person. I used to take all the shepherds when puppies to training and the person would give much verbal abuse to people who turned up without one on. (Called them D*******S)

It's also good common sense is it not?:001_rolleyes: (instead risking an accident from distraction and hurting the dog?

These cost less than a good leather lead and are a sound investment.

I'm sure you are right, but do you know the actual bit of legislation? The only relevant thing I can find is the The Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order 1997 and I can't find it in there. :confused1:

Ref the OP, I take my springer with me when I'm working on our own land and he's a bloody liability, particularly when working near a road... he is fascinated by cyclists and tries to mount them as they pass.... and chases them down the road barking at them. He also sits on my climbing line and gets himself tangled up the ropes. He's a pain the ar&e but he enjoys himself.... I wouldn't take him to someone elses property.

We used to use a carpet fitter who brought his Alsatian with him. A bloody Alsatian! Into peoples offices! What kind of drugs was he on you ask?! Well, weed most of the time I think. His mate was a pillock as well.

I forget what the dog was called but it was something like Killer or Ripper or Chopper....

So no, dogs on site probably not the best idea... any kind of site!

My lab used to come on 99% of our jobs, she dragged branches, kept an eye out for pedestrians, ran lines or strops on steep country, but most of the time she just sleeps.

Clients love her and kids think shes xmas. Her weakness is water, goldfish ponds have been disaster sites 4 or 5 times. Only once did a client not find it hilarious.

Now with kids she stays at home most days, but clients do request me to bring her along so she does often enough. Amazing how often when I used to walk back to my truck someone would be patting her through the window and ask about us giving them a quote.