Rope Wrench feedback

Tried the 'Slic Pin' today.

I like how compact and symmetrical it is. It doesn't seem that slic as the finish is a bit ruff.

Anyone else notice this? I'm sure it will polish up soon.

Also having trouble on the real horizontal movements (flat rope) getting the wrench to follow. I have the hitch fully released and the WR just pivots over, further than it normally does. I have to pivot the WR back and use it to slide the hitch... ideas??

cheers

I could be completely wrong here as I'm still so new to SRT.

Climbing SRT there isn't the requirement to grip the rope as you're either climbing the tree and just tending the hitch up the rope or you're in and out of your Pantin constantly, therefore pushing with your strong leg muscles and using hands on rope for stability.

That's the beauty, no grunting up a rope on small arm muscles.

Just before Xmas I changed from 13mm to 12mm on DRT and found a massive difference in my ability to grip the rope. Now on SRT the 12mm isn't a problem at all.

In fact it's also easier to get in the Pantin and ascender.

There only seems to be disadvantage to thicker rope for SRT systems. All the SRT veterans on here are using 10-11.5mm static ropes.

Also static ropes seem to only come in small diameter anyway.

You kind of just explained the advantages of good application of either a HC or ART product on D'dRT.

One positive I can see is the use of the pantin in this set-up as your not losing any advantage like you do with a doubled system. Yet using a pantin on its own without footloop- rope walker type system is not particularly ergonomic I did this for a year on SRT a while ago before I began to feel its negative effects. Hence I moved further away from srt working as I found working on drt more balanced and effcient over a broader range of work.

But this is probably because I am used to it and know how to use it more effectively

But I can see some of the advantages of SRT and really want to try again its just fine tip work and working at steep angles in relation to your anchor/s that I struggle to grasp as easier including tip work on limbs that cannot take your weight a doubled system in my head at least gives you the advantage in reducing the effort required to take in slack.

Anyone want to lend me a RW :001_smile: I am kind of a big deal

I haven't climbed on the vortex yet, just been splicing it. The 13mm was arbormaster and felt it was a tad thick for me running through the wrench. I'll grab some vortex and see what's its like. Off topic but it's nice to splice.

Its a really nice rope i'll be getting some, although probably only a 37m as you do notice its weight prefering something like imori over 40m.

Its a shame that it gives to much friction in a RW like you say as the line I tried had very little stretch in fact much less than some of my SRT lines, probably would of made a nice srt work line, but what do I know i'm still in the dark ages.

personally marc i found the 13mm created too much friction running through the wrench

I tried 13mm and found the same thing, I have been using Tachyon with various cords and they all work really well, I was working for a guy on Thursday who likes to have set breaks through out the day which means I have to climb the tree three times from top to bottom (annoying) as well as around the tree, it was a very big Ash and normally using ddrt I would be knackered by the end of the day but with the wrench and a hand ascender I still felt fresh at days end.

I've just done a pine tree large limb removal and dead wooding job.

I expected that with all the little descents/ascents involved that SRT might be inefficient and I'd use more energy.

I was wrong once again!

Climbed the tree not the rope and just popped in and out the Pantin so many times it now only takes a second. I love it!

I've just done a pine tree large limb removal and dead wooding job.

I expected that with all the little descents/ascents involved that SRT might be inefficient and I'd use more energy.

I was wrong once again!

Climbed the tree not the rope and just popped in and out the Pantin so many times it now only takes a second. I love it!

Does this mean your fully converted :thumbup: Haven't been back to drt for a month now. So easy using natural re-directs that you just wouldn't think of using in drt because of the friction, today a used 5 in these lime re-pollards (3 trunks with lots of tops about 20ft from the pollard point, allowed me to create a new anchor on each tree then work my way back to the 1st tree removing the stems that i had anchored to) Very easy work and work positioning. :thumbup1:

the lack of friction with the system is such a bonus i ended up with my rope through loads of forks as different anchors around the tree and then off into the second tree, then down and just pulled it all through with no cambium saver to get stuck.

just need to get better with the throw line now.

would deffinatly recomend at least trying one.

thanks kevin!

carl