Rope v chipper

Taupotreeman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would it then become an argument that having more different climbing ropes, although its a bit more expensive, using a 45m rope on a 5-10m tree is a bit excessive, having a 20m line you have very little hanging below you, i find my 20m line gets used more than my 45m.

up at myerscough there is a tale of a rope being left on a track and a tracotr driving over it, the rope then got caught on the axles of it and pulled the climber out the tree.

ive nearly seen a rope go into a 12" timberwolf, that wouldnt have been pretty, i managed to grab the rope out the pile of brash in time though, the dragger was unaware. hairy moment!

The rope will do much the same as material does from chainsaws clothing around a clutch and might damage bearings. Sending in a dead Goat?:001_rolleyes:

The person climbing should make sure the ropes are a safe distance from a hazard like a chipping machine. (I always have a small razor sharp rescue knife even on the ground in case of possible problems)

Ground workers should be trained to feed material from the sides of a machine not direct in front. Wear close fitting clothing including gloves and use the railways type Hi-Viz as these are designed to break up if snagged on brash.

Perhaps a human heat sensor/emergency stop button in the centre of the infeed hopper which would stop the machine is something the HSE/people that produce the machines should discuss.

One tragic loss is too much.

did a big tree several yrs ago and extended climbing line with another.

End got put in chipper with 2 crabs on they both went through into the truck but the rope did not

the rollers can not push it through into the blades and the blades are generally not sharp enough to cut a rope without it been pushed down so it got wrapped round and stalled the machine when all the easy slack had gone though.

I have a marlow 13mm rope if anyone wants a go:thumbup:

I had my rope put through a greenmech when working in a situation where the chipper had to be close to the tree, my line went tight and then stalled the chipper, I wasn't angry at the 2 on the ground because it was an accidental mistake, just as much the person attached to the ropes fault in my opinion. always wondered if someone could invent some sort of rope bag which pulls in any slack or similar design?

• 4 weeks later...

i presume the h&s guy is providing a rope & chipper & goat for the purposes of his daft idea?

the weakest link (apart from a groundsman unaware enough to feed a rope thru a chipper in the 1st place) will obviously be the climber or the anchor point depending how high up in a tree he is.

The rope's going to be rated at 2-3 tons (unlike the climber) & unless the chipper blades have just been sharpened & cut the rope, the chippers going to end up in a mess...

i agree with rob & also keep a short rope for smaller trees.

i say put the h&s guy on the end of the rope & bbq the goat!

Danny Boy the whole reason the thread was put up was to find out if anyone had experienced this happening before and what effects it could or would have on the climber. As it turns out we also found out what could happen to the chipper so the idea was rapidly binned for obvious reasons. I thought the idea was actually quite a reasonable one as most incidences of a rope going through chipper are hear say (at least the ones that I had heard of 3rd or 4th hand) and we wanted to be able to use the video as a training tool for trainees and experinced groundie/arbies alike. If it saves a life or serious injury is it still such a daft idea?

Taupotreeman, naturally anything that helps save a life or injury is a good thing.

My point is, if he wants to produce a shock video to warn of the dangers of something happening, let him provide all the bits that are going to feature in that video instead of expecting you to do it with your gear. Thats whats daft to me.