How many people use Aspen?

antipesto

Do you;  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Do you;

• Never use aspen
    • Always use aspen
    • Occasionally use aspen

Thats absolutely disgraceful your insurance being put up and completely unacceptable in this day and age of ' going green'

I can only applaud the stance you have taken and hope you can be a catalyst in getting this stuff on our shelves country wide.:thumbup1:

Well the underwriter is covering more risk so they want more money simples, your own insurance premium will go up based on payroll and or turnover, more work equals more opportunities for it to go wrong thus more exposure for the underwriter.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really need convincing of the benefits of Aspen, I use it in the saws. I just asked a technical question relating to Aspen. If you know the answer that'd be grand:001_cool:

I haven't found anything categorical on different mix ratios. There are two schools of thought - one is that a higher oil mix is needed in line with the spec. on the kit. The other is that modern oils are much better designed, so the mix ratio can be changed over to the modern mix.

I must admit that in the two older 2-stroke engines I have, I've just run straight Aspen. One is a Stihl 076, which was very much designed as a 25:1 engine, but they didn't change the design right up through to when they stopped making the TS760 a couple of years back, and that was fine on the 50:1, so seems logical to change mix to the modern spec. The other one is Geoff's old Allen Scythe - 1950s, 16:1 with Castrol marked up on the filler cap. I have run it on straight Aspen since I got it and it's been worked quite hard. No sign of problems so far - no weak running, difficulty idling or any other problems (well, other than the normal that it's an evil machine which tries to kill people, including me, anyway).

Both have had a good 20l through, which would be more than enough "bad" fuel to ruin an engine.

Not sure if this helps with your question, but I don't think you'll get a definitive answer - a case of deciding what you're prepared to chance, and seeing if it works.

Alec

Have spent the last few weeks there with the hedge trimmer at face height and I don't know how anyone can say its not an issue.

Its absolutely horrible.

What is an issue is the closest distributor being in Huntly. An hour and a half round trip at best and practically impossible in winter.

Come on Aspen you need to do better than that.

Is that Strathbogie Saws?

And c'mon, Aberdeen/Huntly isn't too bad in the winter. Bit slow, maybe, but the same goes on all routes.

I haven't found anything categorical on different mix ratios. There are two schools of thought - one is that a higher oil mix is needed in line with the spec. on the kit. The other is that modern oils are much better designed, so the mix ratio can be changed over to the modern mix.

I must admit that in the two older 2-stroke engines I have, I've just run straight Aspen. One is a Stihl 076, which was very much designed as a 25:1 engine, but they didn't change the design right up through to when they stopped making the TS760 a couple of years back, and that was fine on the 50:1, so seems logical to change mix to the modern spec. The other one is Geoff's old Allen Scythe - 1950s, 16:1 with Castrol marked up on the filler cap. I have run it on straight Aspen since I got it and it's been worked quite hard. No sign of problems so far - no weak running, difficulty idling or any other problems (well, other than the normal that it's an evil machine which tries to kill people, including me, anyway).

Both have had a good 20l through, which would be more than enough "bad" fuel to ruin an engine.

Not sure if this helps with your question, but I don't think you'll get a definitive answer - a case of deciding what you're prepared to chance, and seeing if it works.

Alec

I agree totally with you Alec but like you I cannot find anything definate as oil manufacturers are unwilling to commit for obvious reasons. In my opinion modern oils labelled 50:1 can be used in any 2t kit. I think the markings on caps and in books were relevant at the time of design in line with the common oils, many of which were poor in comparison to todays oils.

The Stihl manuals state to use 50:1 if using Stihl oil, or 25:1 if using non branded oil. To me that says it all.

I have spoken to several oil manufacturers who also say that their 50:1 oils will actually run quite happily at 70:1, so there is a good margin of safety at 50:1.

However, if asked by a customer which mix to use, I, like the manufacturers am cautious to commit and suggest that if they are concerned then they should us the ratio reccomended by the machine manufacturer!

Is that Strathbogie Saws?

And c'mon, Aberdeen/Huntly isn't too bad in the winter. Bit slow, maybe, but the same goes on all routes.

Yes it is .

Spruce , lets be honest you are not going to go up to Huntly when you run out of fuel even if you are the stoicist environmentalist.

Saying that I hope to go up there soon and try this stuff :thumbup:

Hi Rover,

Alkylate petrol (Aspen 2 and Aspen 4) will not "go off"

you can use Aspen 4 and mix it with Aspen 2 stroke oil or any other fully synthetic oil of your choice and you wont have any problems with seperation.

(Aspen 4 mixed at 50:1 with Aspen 2 stroke oil = Aspen 2)

as long as you do not mix Aspen 4 with a castor based oil then you should not have any problems

As this is turning into a general Aspen related questions thread anyway... If I use Aspen4 and mix it with aspen 2-stroke oil, does it keep or does it go off like petrol/two-stroke mix?

There are a few machines I very ocasionally use that need different fuel mixes (1/33 and 1/40). mixing as needed is haslle and wastefull as mixing by the tankfull is not practical.

Great thread guys :thumbup1:

I think this is really helpful for people who are sceptical about trying the product, and it is really nice to see so many positive comments about how you are benefiting from the products which we sell!

As for anyone who is struggling to get hold of our products and find that they don't have a local dealer. have you tried approaching them and telling them how you would like to use the fuel and why they should stock it. if we work together then i'm sure we can sort something :thumbup1:

we are trying our hardest to get as many dealers as possible to make it convenient for yourselves but it is very hard sometimes unless people like yourselves approach them and tell them why you want to use it.

Thanks for clearing that up, so I could mix aspen4 with stihl hp, and leave it for a year and still be fine?

I've an old hedge-cutter that bluntly refuses to run properly on anything else than 1:33 and as mentioned it's a right pain when you only need it once or twice a year.

Thanks for clearing that up, so I could mix aspen4 with stihl hp, and leave it for a year and still be fine?

I've an old hedge-cutter that bluntly refuses to run properly on anything else than 1:33 and as mentioned it's a right pain when you only need it once or twice a year.

that should be fine, maybe give it a little shake before using just to be sure.