proper pruning 75' tulip

dadio

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stub cuts are one thing, leaving STUBS is another!

Poor saw work IMO, not "proper" by any means!

Looks good from a distance I guess, and Im sure the client was happy with the overall shape and general appearance.

Edit; Just seen your reduction Matty, very nice shape, very well done and proof it can be done without a bucket!

Edited by 18 stoner

Before pic of scycamore

http://28dd7fad.jpgAim on this tree was it was a pollard well out of cycle so had weakness at base of the main primary limbs so reduce wind sale... Repolarding was not an option but one I gave they choose reducing without spoiling the tree char actor also it was apparently ruining the thatch..

The ash I have redone once and will probably go on re reducing every 4 years

This is 4 years regrowth, not exactly the perfect solution but it's less damaging to the tree structure as Daniel pointed out and the client is happy to re do it at every 4 years so the tree will not out grow and dominate his garden.

http://814a7963.jpg

Nice work matty.. yes, this type of work can be done well by a good climber, BUT in my territory, those types of climbers are few and far in between.. Most companies are hacks, I've seen horrible pruning done by even some of the bigger names..

As far as the stubs.. I personally have transcended the knee jerk reaction to target prune every cut. I AM diligent when the cut is important.. But in many cases, such as making small cuts on branch tips, it makes NO difference to the long term health of the tree to when those stubs are left.. It is far worse to cut in to the live tissue of the remaining wood, which is often the case when target pruning is attempted..

I know you guys are going to jump all over that thinking.. BUT.. tell me where you get your knowledge about how bad leaving stubs are... (when left on branch tips) .. it is only because if your training.. Its the way you were taught and you have yet to question the why... You have no empirical evidence to argue against the practice, nor is there any science... You are simply mindlessly doing as you were told.. I don't have that problem :)

Before you go crazy with your mudslining.. just come up with the science... where is the paper that shows the harm done by leaving stubs on branch tips?

Also.. here's a PM I got on an American site and my reply.. For your consideration..

so murph, what's your opinion on raising up the lower portion of deciduous trees when main limbs are concerned? just curious. I've removed several low limbs on maples, oaks ect... Not so much tulip, around here they are strait and tall and the lowest limbs are usually around 50 ft. But to open up views, clear houses and a basic raising. on other trees we often take large limbs back to the trunk (with proper cuts).

Dan

I try to avoid that practice, though I used to do it all the time. I do not suggest it.. if the client asks for it, I explain that is is harmful for the tree and better to leave the lower limbs so as not to make wounds on the trunk, and keep the shade on the trunk and root zone, keep away soil compacting traffic etc.. if they still insist, I suggest heavy reduction cuts on these limbs rather than removal, as it is better to allow the tree to keep the limb(s), or even if the limb dies, better to let the stub die, then cut off the dead portion after it is clear exactly where the collar is etc.. They usually listen

Good luck with everything..

D

Nice work matty.. yes, this type of work can be done well by a good climber, BUT in my territory, those types of climbers are few and far in between.. Most companies are hacks, I've seen horrible pruning done by even some of the bigger names..

As far as the stubs.. I personally have transcended the knee jerk reaction to target prune every cut. I AM diligent when the cut is important.. But in many cases, such as making small cuts on branch tips, it makes NO difference to the long term health of the tree to when those stubs are left.. It is far worse to cut in to the live tissue of the remaining wood, which is often the case when target pruning is attempted..

I know you guys are going to jump all over that thinking.. BUT.. tell me where you get your knowledge about how bad leaving stubs are... (when left on branch tips) .. it is only because if your training.. Its the way you were taught and you have yet to question the why... You have no empirical evidence to argue against the practice, nor is there any science... You are simply mindlessly doing as you were told.. I don't have that problem :)

Before you go crazy with your mudslining.. just come up with the science... where is the paper that shows the harm done by leaving stubs on branch tips?

Also.. here's a PM I got on an American site and my reply.. For your consideration..

I try to avoid that practice, though I used to do it all the time. I do not suggest it.. if the client asks for it, I explain that is is harmful for the tree and better to leave the lower limbs so as not to make wounds on the trunk, and keep the shade on the trunk and root zone, keep away soil compacting traffic etc.. if they still insist, I suggest heavy reduction cuts on these limbs rather than removal, as it is better to allow the tree to keep the limb(s), or even if the limb dies, better to let the stub die, then cut off the dead portion after it is clear exactly where the collar is etc.. They usually listen

Good luck with everything..

D

Failing all that just put a dirty great gob int bottom and take home the fire wood:thumbup:

.. it is only because if your training.. Its the way you were taught and you have yet to question the why... You have no empirical evidence to argue against the practice, nor is there any science... You are simply mindlessly doing as you were told.. I don't have that problem :)

Does this quote mean you have not recieved any pruning training?

I realise that over here things can be different, I also accept your interpretation of how significant stubs are to the overall tree health on small branches and twigs, BUT... dont you think those stubs just look damn untidy?:confused1:

A little more time and patience would have given a better finish and could easily be done without "cutting in to the live tissue of the remaining wood"

I've read the ISA best management practices, read Gilman's book on pruning, taken a number of courses many years ago, and have kept up with the discussions on line for some years.. I made recommendation to the ANSI board for making changes in the ANSI pruning standards, some of which were accepted.. I have also written an article about getting past Shigo, that I have yet to submit for publication..

Those stubs don't bother me, as they are a long way from the ground and not easily seen.. I suppose I could be more careful, though sometimes when using a handsaw even with what seems like a good undercut, a small limb will crack down past the undercut.. When aesthetics are important, I make a better effort..