What's new? Everything, it seems to me!

Grandad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Grandad! Nothings changed trees are trees and the day rate aint gone up much since you climbed last :001_rolleyes:

The site lacks that old school cool apart from Aces grandad :laugh1:

Thanks for this Jammydodger, :laugh1::laugh1: yes, I reckon the trees haven't changed any and as for the daily rate... wouldn't know what it is these days but I like your world weary attitude, suspect you are right. I used to get about £50 a day, lousy when you think how dangerous the job can be. I was the only full time professional climber with a gang of blokes on the ground and boy, were we a hard working team! Only the boss used to climb as well but he hardly ever left the ground.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. One thing about tree surgery hasn't changed... Friendly guys.

Edited by Grandad

David Goss: love your avatar mate! I remember doing something like that, kept going until my voice went up a couple of octaves then I knew it was time to stop being a silly sausage and try another way.

Cheers mate:thumbup:

To be honest that was a pretty silly branch walk seeing both of those branches were split and could pop at any time. I had a serious sigh of relief when i finally got the ends off the telephone wires and could cut them off from the trunk:001_smile:

Well, I've got a few photos, non too exciting though, just run of the mill stuff. This was before the days of digital cameras and those glass plates are damn heavy.

David Goss: We've all had to do these daft branch walks, at least it keeps the groundies entertained when the fork splits or you miss your footing.

Reading back over some of your replies I get the idea that some of you guys think I'm older than I actually am. I'm 58, not an OAP, just thought I'd better make it clear so that we don't get the wrong idea. (I am a grandad though and I am retired from climbing but could go back to it if I wanted to).

Sorry for any misunderstanding...