throwing a big oak top over 15'

dadio

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dadio, Your explanation of your take down was really well done. The video also made a real difference esp. the slow motion replay. I Agree with jammy about methods for taking down trees and your ability showed well your experience and knowledge of your trade.

That being said it is really nice when you have that Inertia thing going in the right direction! Thanks for sharing, it was a pleasure to watch!.

easy-lift guy

The trouble is Matt IMO!- There has been a shift in the tools and techniques used by people in our trade over the last 70 years and the ability to work from ladders, free climb, fell, shock load etc is being lost and forgotten.

When somebody like Daddio tries to re kindle some of these lost arts he is looked down apon by alot of our generation as reckless because he could have used other means or its not the familiar approach :thumbdown:

My question to the doubters is have they ever given any thought to how tree surgery was undertaken before we had all the gizmos that we have now become dependant on ?

I have had the pleasure of working with a few real old timers and the skill and understanding of trees and timber humbling :blushing:

:congrats:

Well said jammy dude, Dadio's videos are very controversial and spark many heated debates which i have not yet joined in on because i have a big mouth and will just get myself into trouble but to me he seems to have a very good grasp of the physics behind it all and although he does some pretty dodgey looking stuff, he is still alive:001_rolleyes:

Jammy agree........also think dadio has hit the nail on the head....you do develop a "feel" for what will and what wont work. It is good to see people confident in there cuts and knowledge. With reference to the somewhat sarcastic "do all you jobs go right' comment. I think as professionals we should expect every job to go well. After all we wouldn't employ for example an accountant and expect mistakes to be made.

The trouble is Matt IMO!- There has been a shift in the tools and techniques used by people in our trade over the last 70 years and the ability to work from ladders, free climb, fell, shock load etc is being lost and forgotten.

When somebody like Daddio tries to re kindle some of these lost arts he is looked down apon by alot of our generation as reckless because he could have used other means or its not the familiar approach :thumbdown:

My question to the doubters is have they ever given any thought to how tree surgery was undertaken before we had all the gizmos that we have now become dependant on ?

I have had the pleasure of working with a few real old timers and the skill and understanding of trees and timber humbling :blushing:

What a load of crap .... Dadio is the evil knevil of the tree world, not an old school hero!! So we had bucket trucks, loaders to move stacks of timber to protect DZ's and pull stems over in the good old days ??? , Take it for what it

is and that's stunt felling not some old school experience to be humbled by... I do like flying trees though!

What a load of crap .... Dadio is the evil knevil of the tree world, not an old school hero!! So we had bucket trucks, loaders to move stacks of timber to protect DZ's and pull stems over in the good old days ??? , Take it for what it

is and that's stunt felling not some old school experience to be humbled by... I do like flying trees though!

Crap.......

I seam to be missing something....why all the hate......

Good question.. I have asked myself many times.. Here's the best I can come up with....

I have posted many videos demonstrating skill and knowledge level far beyond theirs, and even beyond their level of understanding what is possible.. That makes some people very uncomfortable, because it contradicts the story they tell themselves about how great they are.. Rather than humbling themselves, letting go of their stories, and trying to learn something by asking.. "how did you do that"?, their egos get very defensive and attack, at first by calling the work "lucky or reckless". When video after video keeps showing what is possible, it becomes clear that calling it lucky won't work any more, they have nothing left to do but take personal shots at me, and make snide comments about the work.

I think this is a great post.. thank you for pointing that out. It gives a lot of good perspective..

Reminds me of the video where I used pulleys and a truck to lift a big locust off a house, and someone asked, "why didn't you just use a crane"? No good reason, other than the $1200/day cost for the crane, the tight drive, and the need to either make blind pics over the house, or mat a bridge around the house..

Good question.. I have asked myself many times.. Here's the best I can come up with....

I have posted many videos demonstrating skill and knowledge level far beyond theirs, and even beyond their level of understanding what is possible.. That makes some people very uncomfortable, because it contradicts the story they tell themselves about how great they are.. Rather than humbling themselves, letting go of their stories, and trying to learn something by asking.. "how did you do that"?, their egos get very defensive and attack, at first by calling the work "lucky or reckless". When video after video keeps showing what is possible, it becomes clear that calling it lucky won't work any more, they have nothing left to do but take personal shots at me, and make snide comments about the work.

I think you will find the reason so many people have the 'ump is the attitude that you actually think what you have written is true.

That being said I love jumping trees, but I don't have a skid steer to hand so I take smaller bits and use my own version of a skid steer - my left or right arm. I like to call them Ronnie and Reggie. :001_tt2:

I have posted many videos demonstrating skill and knowledge level far beyond theirs, and even beyond their level of understanding what is possible..

I've taken part in a few debates after looking at your videos Daniel. IMO a lot of the flak you receive is not down to the vids but the way in which you present them and talk about them afterwards.

The above quote is a good example of this. It's this sort of statement that makes people defensive and go on the attack (not that it's any excuse for personal comments directed at you).

I always watch your vids and enjoy them even if I don't agree with the techniques all the time....

....:001_smile: