Old petrol?

john k

I have a newish saw which I last used about 10 weeks ago and I've got half a combi can of fuel left.

I've had 2 stroke bikes and outboards for years and would only consider fuel to be "old" after about six months, however I've seen people here suggesting that chainsaw mix is past it after as little as four weeks.

So do I bin it or use it?

I have a newish saw which I last used about 10 weeks ago and I've got half a combi can of fuel left.

I've had 2 stroke bikes and outboards for years and would only consider fuel to be "old" after about six months, however I've seen people here suggesting that chainsaw mix is past it after as little as four weeks.

So do I bin it or use it?

Put a search in on the forum as I am positive that the guys were discussing old fuel to quite an extent in an old thread. I recollect that old fuel is bad and in fact when mixed will not last long anyway. I hope you find your answer! :thumbup1:

I personally would put an extra dolop of two stroke in it if you really want to use it. Chainsaws rev to around 13,000rpm so considerably more than most bikes or outboards so damage can occur far quicker than on other equipment.

The cost of the fuel???

The cost of a new Piston and cylinder????

You know it makes sense!

I personally would throw it away.

I've lost several barrels and pistons. I can't be certain why, but I know I mixed the fuel properly. It could be that I got bad fuel from the local garage, or that it was used too long after I mixed it. All I know for certain is that it has cost me the best part of a grand.

As I use any particular saw intermittently I now use Aspen, as it doesn't have this problem and means I don't have to throw fuel away or risk it (on top of not producing benzene fumes). This suits me better!

Alec

The risk of it being off is low, but the possible consequence is high (rebuild). Bung it in the mower, that's what I do... smells a bit, but it's OK.

Incidently, a neighbour has a 2 stroke strimmer that hardly ever gets used. The fuel must be 2 years old. It starts and runs perfectly!

I personally would put an extra dolop of two stroke in it if you really want to use it. Chainsaws rev to around 13,000rpm so considerably more than most bikes or outboards so damage can occur far quicker than on other equipment.

The cost of the fuel???

The cost of a new Piston and cylinder????

You know it makes sense!

Bin the fuel or keep it for starting bonfires etc but dont use it if unsure of age, petrol mixed or not has approx 6week shelf life before it starts going off, only found this my self the other week when getting a rolling road check on the car, doesnt get used a great deal and had dropped power from last run, the guy explained the fuel situation, drained and filled with new and back, remarkable differance.

As for sticking in more 2stroke its a nono, it will leave deposits on your piston/pot causing heatspots in the future.:thumbup1:

Bin the fuel or keep it for starting bonfires etc but dont use it if unsure of age, petrol mixed or not has approx 6week shelf life before it starts going off, only found this my self the other week when getting a rolling road check on the car, doesnt get used a great deal and had dropped power from last run, the guy explained the fuel situation, drained and filled with new and back, remarkable differance.

As for sticking in more 2stroke its a nono, it will leave deposits on your piston/pot causing heatspots in the future.:thumbup1:

To be honest, all my old stuff goes in to the Suffolk Colt and dont run old mix in saws - you can tell when the mix is past it's best when the mix goes yellow and not cherry red but age is the best guide.

I always drain down saws in for repair and replace with fresh fuel, I have had some pretty bad stuff come out of some of them.

The extra dollop of oil isn't one of my better ideas:blushing:

I've started old mowers two or three pulls when been out of action for several years.

Gumming up carburetter myth busted

we regularly use old 2 stroke mixed up- must do as cans are not labelled 1,2,3,4 so they must get ignored sometimes

Never had a problem- use 50:1 stihl 2 stroke mix

Never had a problem with Supermarket petrol or diesel:confused1: