89 members have voted

1. 1. Schliesing Vs Timberwolf

• Schliesing
    • Timberwolf

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well there ya go. if you had 10 guys working for you over here chances are 8 of them wouldnt be able to drive the bloody thing!

And to think....I just have 1 crazy Mexican driving my rig around. And NO.......not in a million years would I swap him for 8 of your guys!! He's one of the best groundies I've ever known.

Jonnie, I understand exactly where you are coming from. The lend lease agreement was punitive to Britain, and the war destroyed our economy and left us bankrupt, whilst Germany, Japan and the US economy's burgeoned.

I think it goes beyond that though, Rovers were crap cause they were built by workers that could'nt give a toss, management that refused to invest, and generaly poor designs.

Even with the vast sums BMW invested into rover, they still could'nt get the quality right.

Can't disagree with you on that Ed! And British industry is still suffering the legacy of the attitude of those workers and management in the 70s and 80s. I wonder if we can ever recover from that stigma and the reputation?

Jonnie, -No. You still get quality engineering in Britain, but its always small companies. And the skills have gone now in large numbers. and large british workforces just dont give a toss.

Steve, I totally disagree that running a larger truck and chipper is prohibitively expensive for small companies. I was a 2 man outfit when I bought my first lorry, and getting someone through a class 1 hgv is esier and cheaper than getting them their chainsaw tickets. Running a truck and chipper with decent capacity is a sure fire way of boosting any small firms productivity.

I ran 3500kg (Transit type). Useless off road, but that was our work. A load of 4x4 helped, but our transport laws are fair restrictive! If I was in the street tree market, I would have gone over to maybe a short wheelbase 10t truck with a medium (say 12 to 1500kg) chiper. Wood still has its uses, from candle sticks made from holly and yew to big butts, for furniture or even bio fuel if you collect enough for HomeGrown. But roads, costs, licences etc prohibit asking for the right money on most contracts. There is always some numbty going to undercut you or staff going to leave you!