Day rate for a groundie......

Big T

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this site is increasing expectations for groundies and climber alike..

The Labour Force Survey, For non-graduates, show that average earnings were around £15,000 for 22-year-olds earnings increased every year until the age of 30 before levelling off and peaking at £19,400 at 34.

So taking 230 work days a year (4 weeks holiday etc) £65 - £84 a day for a freelance worker.

If your on £150 a day works out as £34,500 Annual salary. Not bad.. Are many of the small business owners making that? I bet they are working more then 230 days.

There is a massive difference between a self employed and on the books groundie. With all your ppe paid for, and paid holidays, sick leave, and a regular reliable wage you can afford to work for less.

£150 a day is 40k a year! I'd have to double my prices to pay 2 guys that much.

TD Tree & Land Services Ltd.

I think this site is increasing expectations for groundies and climber alike..

What is so wrong with that? What are you afraid of? Surely you increase your expectations too? Up til about 11 years ago I was a groundie on £80 a day. So now in the latter part of 2011 people are saying that a groundie should still be on the same money, although the cost of living has gone by how much? Meaning that the £80 a day is now worth far less.

I would pay a good subi grounds person with aerial rescue, 1st aid ect £80/day.

Is that self employed? If so, things have moved on since those days.

Good post Ben.

We need to differentiate between 16 year old lads in trackies dragging brush and experienced, ticketed guys who can run jobs and operate complex rigging.

Exactly my point earlier:thumbup1:

So if youre paying £150 a day for groundie what are you paying for a good climber?

Dont assume a climber should be on more money than a groundy! A good groundy will be able to do anything on site, including being a good climber too if the need arises.

Essex is way over supplied with tree contractors, I see new companies every week and prices being driven down by complete clowns which doesnt help anyone because business is unsustainable at such low contracting fees.

Quality of workmanship and efficiency of workforce will succeed over this type of set ups IMO.