What do you do?

cot

Sorry to disappoint you all but I haven’t broke anything I am doing a course and part of it is to research something within the industry, I have chosen to look into what people’s views are on what sort of training, instruction or demo they think is needed for new pieces of kit they haven’t been trained in i.e. since there cs38/9 etc.

I am also going to try and find out the ‘official’ view to find out if we are actually covered if we haven’t been trained in using new kit.

i research as best as possible, which nearly always involves this site, especially if its a major purchase, if its not so expensive new type of karabiner, or new type of prussic cord then i'll give it a go just to see. I spent at least a month asking around before i put together my final rigging kit....and i believe it was time well spent. We had a work experience girl last week who had rushed out bought a rope which was suitable for her, a hitch climber but would only climb on a prussic loop, and such, so it pays off to be cautious.

Sorry to disappoint you all but I haven’t broke anything I am doing a course and part of it is to research something within the industry, I have chosen to look into what people’s views are on what sort of training, instruction or demo they think is needed for new pieces of kit they haven’t been trained in i.e. since there cs38/9 etc.

I am also going to try and find out the ‘official’ view to find out if we are actually covered if we haven’t been trained in using new kit.

Why?

the answer surely is obvious.....as what new equipment has to do with your 38/39....there certificates of competence not who can climb on a new shiny...that my friend comes with experience, know how, and just trying new stuff.....if we didn't try then everyone would still be on the 3 knot system.

when i took my 38/39 i had at the time been climbing for 5 years, i was on a lock jack and also used a distel with the old isc pulleys but was also asked to demonstrate the 3 knot system s (standard procedure) .

every thing comes with some kind of instructions and you can always guarantee some has already tried it before you and there is some tutorial video on the tube......

IMO there are to many money making schemes out there let alone a new one for every piece of equipment we buy.......

Research........:001_rolleyes: