accident on second day of work exp

nuggsy

had just chipped a load of cypress and decided to go into the pick up to mound it up a bit, got up found no shovel, truned to come back down and skudded my face off the chipper chute resulting in a black eye and a deep cut to my rite cheek bone ha ha.

the boss was in stitches.

dont worry folks the timberwolf is just fine :D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always advise newcomers to put helmet visor and earmuffs on from the moment they get out of the transit for at least 4 months, not for this exact reason but for lots of others similar. YOU DONUT. hahaha. I bet when you got home your folks/wife/girlfriend thought you had been in a right ding dong down the pub. haha

Just goes to show, its so easy to pick up an injury in this job, not just with saws!!

Hell yeah,

back when I was greener than the JGG, I put myself underneath a rigged, hung up big latteral.

Tried to dislodge with three poles :blushing:, just saw the movement in time, jumped clear only for 8' x 8" diam lump of Oak hit the ground then bounce straight on to me back.

Resulted in two weeks unable to move in bed with a haematoma the size of a grapefruit on the base of my spine YEOUCH.....still wince thinking back.

Two months of ultra sound physio & lesson well and truly learnt.

One thing I've noticed with some novices, is unfortunately down to their eagerness. You ask them to fetch something, and they run off to get it, and then run straight back into the workzone with said item, blissfully unaware that they are now back in a hazardous situation, placing themselves right in the way of the climber who's frantically trying to avoid them with a heavy lump of wood!! pay attention at all times, to everything and everybody around you, expect the totally unexpected, and if in doubt, ask.

few weeks back, i was up a lime, knocking deadwood out sometimes unintntionally as i climbed, saw my groundie with no helmet, shouted down to him to get it, so he walks under the tree to the truck, gets helmet, walks back under tree and just as he raises his helmet, bang clouted on the head, split it wide open!

bit of good fortune-working near opposite addenbrookes A+E!

diddnt knock any sence into him though

my helmet wouldnt have done anything, the cut is just below my eye and the force i hit the chipper would have broke the visor, i always wear my helmet coz if im not paying much attention the boss throws sticks at me from above ha ha

Utter rubbish!

dnt wanna sound cheeky m8 but how in gods name is a helmet gonna save my face when im going to shovel chips ? fair enuf i mite not have a cut on my face had my visor been down but it wouldnt have stopped me getting a black eye or hurting myself.

the chipper was not running i was no where near the work zone, wasnt in any imediate danger what so ever, no reason to have visor down no reason to have muffs down