Help quoting a job, Description inside.

MankeyJohn

I could'nt agree more with the comments above all very true, don't screw the local guys one day you may be sitting in front of them in an interveiw ????

There are way to many guys out the competing for the same slice of the cake just price your work to suit your overheads and the product that your supplying at your stage of the game it would pay to play nice maybe ask local treesurgeon (possible arbtalk member) to do the stumps when thay come to lookie and quote be honest and genuine it goes further than you think ask there advice.

This industry is full of division for loads of reason if we can have "arb" world peace at would be cool.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have said this wrong or people may have the wrong impression but The only reason I wont to know how much you would do the job for Is because I might be over pricing this like a cowboy and I really don't wont to get a reputation for over pricing. I have a plane and all, and I know were the chipper is going, trailer, How much there should be and what I can get rid of waste wise but the only thing is the pricing. This guys nice so I don't wont to screw him over. I didn't mean getting away with pricing I meant getting away with not doing stump grindings because there really messy and takes allot of time. I'm very sorry If I offended anybody by that statement and I didn't mean it in a abusive way. Just worded it wrong

There's a very good chance that a well run firm could do that job cheaper than you can.

5 conifers at 5 feet plus the stumps ain't going to take vey long at all. less than an hour easy.

I could probably do that for around £120 if it's close by the yard and they don't mind it being a job to drop onto to fill in etc.

Although someone could do it for £100 and spend the day mashing it up, taking it to the tip and digging the stumps out on their own.

You won't be ripping him off no matter what you charge if that's what you need to do the job.

I did 3 8ft conifers cut down and stumps dug out in 2 and a bit hours. Did it alone. Used a winch and left the stems long and as they went over i cut the roots.

I don't think your attitude is right. Getting other quotes and then just knocking money off is not good and if I found out people did that to me I wouldn't have much respect for them.

Just think how you'd feel if someone wasted your time dragging you out to look at a job you had no chance of getting. Don't know about you but I value my time. If he's a mate, tell him £80 plus expenses. Even if you are slow that shouldn't take more than a day, and £80 is more than a fair wage for a 16 year old IMO.

work ur costs out eg

chipper hire

waste charge

stump grinder

then u need to try work out how long u think it will take u to do the job and how much u what to work for per day

every job is diffrent and at the end of the day if ur happy with what u will get out the job it dont matter

dont under price it just to get the job its not worth it

just put the price YOU think u can do it for in

if this helps i try to charge 150 per person a day and 100 for a chipper

best of luck martin

Good advice but cut the guy some slack! Pricing jobs is always hard when your starting out and I respect any 16 yr old that has the initative to get off his arse and do an honest job, its a rare thing these days!

I think people are just trying to help him avoid getting into a very bad habit early. After all, if he just prices lower than another quote, what will he do if a customer cannot or will not tell him the other quotes in the future? :001_smile:

[quote name=

if this helps i try to charge 150 per person a day and 100 for a chipper

best of luck martin[/quote]

thats bang on for a 1 man band + occassional worker setup...

im happy to get £150 by 2pm'ish and away home for tea and crumpets.

last job I did for my mums friend took me 3 hrs and got 10 jars of various home made jams and a home made cake 3 weeks on the trot

BEST paid job ever:thumbup:

If I could do another I would want home made bread just because that would be then heaven:thumbup: