hiluxstihl

Dermot here, stumbled on the site while looking for a winch..... read some of the treads and was well impressed, same attitude as i have, see if you can help someone and share info.... i do a small bit of tree felling, thinning etc, ive a stihl ms660, 029, 192t and a kombisystem km130r with pole pruner... drive a hilux also have a major tractor saw and built my own log splitter... I have a job coming up that i will need a skidder so im thinking of a thwaites 3 - 6 ton dumper with a rear winch.... cheap and unbreakable combination or am i missing something?? thanks for views, criticism, all taken on board... thanks!

im torn, i was looking at videos of quads and trailers working and like the idea, the downside to winching with the tractor is id have to forest prep it and the two decent tractors in 4wd we have are way too good to use for timber... the small one that would suit winching is a 44 hp 2wd which wont pull bugger all at the best of times. so its a choice between bigger load and slower turns or a smaller load and faster turns....

im torn, i was looking at videos of quads and trailers working and like the idea, the downside to winching with the tractor is id have to forest prep it and the two decent tractors in 4wd we have are way too good to use for timber... the small one that would suit winching is a 44 hp 2wd which wont pull bugger all at the best of times. so its a choice between bigger load and slower turns or a smaller load and faster turns....

gotta say a simple plate like the pictures above will be surprisingly good at transfer weight to the rear wheels and provide a very nimble light weight solution. Quad bike/timber trailer is not cheap.....highly desirable to knick aswell!!