Newby climber.

ladyarb

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm not perpetuating Myths. I've worked with some great Female tree workers, particularly in europe- and will put my word on the line by offering the lady a job.

But I've also spoken to some female climbers who've had great difficulties.

! female climber I know of, very experienced, all tickets + Tech Cert ARb - and the guys at the company she works for treat her like ****, make her make the tea, wont let her drive the trucks, wont let her climb, give her loads of sexist abuse etc etc.

Personally I think she should bring a harrasement lawsuit against them, but she has struggled to get any job in treework...

Hey I'm not having a dig at you personally, please don't think I am, but I think your experiences, or rather your friends, are the exception rather than the rule and not necessarily a true representation of the industry.

I agree with you that your friend needs to sort out who she works for. No one should put up with that stuff. :thumbdown:

Boy or Girl I wouldnt advise going it alone straight from the off. Tickets dont mean your any good at tree work and experience doesnt mean an awfull lot either. IMO you need to be dedicated to this job to become a SKILLED professional which will take time and lots of hard work.

My recommendation would be to try and get a foot in the door anywhere whether its with the LA or one of your local small firms. If its only a job as grounding at first then dont be disheartened( groundies sweat and break there back more than climbers anyhow) and its a very good way to watch and learn.

I may be wrong and you might be lightening around a tree but if not dont expect miracles over night.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and above all dont believe everything you read or hear :001_tongue: