Police seized my silky and saws...!

samthescam

I used to be old bill so I'm particulalrly vexed by this one! Offensive weapons are classified as items made or intended to cause injury to others. As saws are made to cut wood I would be suprised that these have been seized, especially if your brother explained what you did for a living. If it had been a works van, there is no way I would have gone down that road, and even if it was a private car, as soon as I knew the profession of the owner that would have been job done. Always a sticky wicket carrying items like that in a car, especially at night (why would you need to be carrying a chainsaw at night?) and also there is the insurance issue, would you be covered if they were stolen from your car? I digress, the only reason I could think of a seizure would be if they were suspected of being stolen, but if so they would have nicked your brother, so I really am at a loss with this one. Probably a jobsworth proby PC who thought he was doing the right thing. Very strange indeed. Get down there, stamp your feet bang the desk but don't swear, you will get potted for that! Good luck...

All my saws and most of my kit lives in my van, parked right outside my dwelling, about 6 foot from the door. This is due to the astranomically high crime level perpetrated by the local transit site about 1/4 mile away, which about a year or two back became a local crime wave. If i put them oin my lock up every night they wouldnt be there in the morning.:001_smile:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, if your brother was driving with a known scrote, it puts a different slant on things. Also, if your bro was being a bit tasty with his driving (they do take the piss these young uns...) that would have attracted attention. It may well be that they saw the passenger and gave it a tug to find out what he was up to. I personally have seized items from a car that the driver can't give good reason for having with him at that time, which your bro couldn't really. Also, if your bro's mate is known for drugs, he would have been searched under s23 drugs act, and that means they can search a conveyance that he is being carried in too, during the search, saws found bish bosh job done. Not sure why every one is slagging the police off, the job is tuff enough to start with without people getting on their high horse every time they do their job. If it turned out that they had stopped a car that was carrying your stolen saws, and they let it go because the driver said "me brothers a tree surgeon" you would be incensed! On the flip side if they stopped a car and recovered stolen items everyone would be happy! sounds lke the feds can't win in this case though. I know the tools weren't stolen in this case, and yes the police were perhaps overzealous, but isn't it nice to see them being cautious? Still it's all done with now so happy days!

Mmm, if your brother was driving with a known scrote, it puts a different slant on things. Also, if your bro was being a bit tasty with his driving (they do take the piss these young uns...) that would have attracted attention. It may well be that they saw the passenger and gave it a tug to find out what he was up to. I personally have seized items from a car that the driver can't give good reason for having with him at that time, which your bro couldn't really. Also, if your bro's mate is known for drugs, he would have been searched under s23 drugs act, and that means they can search a conveyance that he is being carried in too, during the search, saws found bish bosh job done. Not sure why every one is slagging the police off, the job is tuff enough to start with without people getting on their high horse every time they do their job. If it turned out that they had stopped a car that was carrying your stolen saws, and they let it go because the driver said "me brothers a tree surgeon" you would be incensed! On the flip side if they stopped a car and recovered stolen items everyone would be happy! sounds lke the feds can't win in this case though. I know the tools weren't stolen in this case, and yes the police were perhaps overzealous, but isn't it nice to see them being cautious? Still it's all done with now so happy days!

Exactly.:001_smile:

All my saws and most of my kit lives in my van, parked right outside my dwelling, about 6 foot from the door. This is due to the astranomically high crime level perpetrated by the local transit site about 1/4 mile away, which about a year or two back became a local crime wave. If i put them oin my lock up every night they wouldnt be there in the morning.:001_smile:

Not the sort of thing to post enough kit getting nicked without telling them where it is.:thumbup1:

I've carried chainsaws, firearms and shotguns on public transport before, going through some big stations on the way. Spoken to transport police on a couple of times in the station and they have no problem with it. Firearms legally held and with a reason to be doing it of course.

Mmm,...... saws found bish bosh job done. Not sure why every one is slagging the police off, the job is tuff enough to start with without people getting on their high horse every time they do their job. If it turned out that they had stopped a car that was carrying your stolen saws, and they let it go because the driver said "me brothers a tree surgeon" you would be incensed! On the flip side if they stopped a car and recovered stolen items everyone would be happy! sounds lke the feds can't win in this case though. I know the tools weren't stolen in this case, and yes the police were perhaps overzealous, but isn't it nice to see them being cautious? Still it's all done with now so happy days!

Presumably when they stopped the car they would check the registration, insurance and MOT were valid, the car not listed as stolen and the driver authorised and insured to drive? Would that not involve checking the identity of the driver and in this case ascertaining that the driver was related to the registered keeper?

I did not read the OP as indicating that the police seized the saws because they thought they might have been stolen. If they had thought that and made some enquiries on that basis then there could be few complaints.

Frankly the way I read it they seized the kit for no particular reason and their sargeant decided to play hard-ass with an apparently law abiding citizen who has already had his working day disrupted.

If the second scenario is anywhere near correct then they can hardly expect a pat on the back for a job well done.

Cheers

mac

What gets my goat is no one was arrested, if a crime was committed then there should have been arrests, if no crime was committed they had no business taking the saws.

It seems to me the police think they are above the law and can do as they see fit!!!:thumbdown:

Look at the current situation regarding undercover cops remaining undercover though out a court case, being in on defense meeting etc, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!who do they think they are???:confused1:

The sheriffs of Dodge City it seems :sneaky2:

What gets my goat is no one was arrested, if a crime was committed then there should have been arrests, if no crime was committed they had no business taking the saws.

It seems to me the police think they are above the law and can do as they see fit!!!:thumbdown:

Look at the current situation regarding undercover cops remaining undercover though out a court case, being in on defense meeting etc, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!who do they think they are???:confused1:

The sheriffs of Dodge City it seems :sneaky2:

Your spot on there, normally when they get found out of any wrong doings they just move them somewhere else.

They are only human and they do make mistakes but on the other hand, if I make a mistake and use it in my defence they never seem to accept it the same.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk