Beware your tractor insurance

Dean Lofthouse

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have just moved from the nfu ,a because there quotes are getting ridiculous and because they are trying to move my mog which is classed as a tractor on to a commerercial policy like dean . problem with that is you get stopped by vosa they will do u if you are not on white diesel ,have a tacograph and correct road tax not agricultural, plus a commerercial policy does not cover your trailers or chippers or anything on the back of them. you need to insure them separate which would cost a fortune if you are anything like me .

i have just moved from the nfu ,a because there quotes are getting ridiculous and because they are trying to move my mog which is classed as a tractor on to a commerercial policy like dean . problem with that is you get stopped by vosa they will do u if you are not on white diesel ,have a tacograph and correct road tax not agricultural, plus a commerercial policy does not cover your trailers or chippers or anything on the back of them. you need to insure them separate which would cost a fortune if you are anything like me .

VOSA will not look at your insurance to decide whether its a tractor or not.

And if they do decide its not a tractor at least you will be insured, so thats one less offense committed.

Just checked our policies with Nfu and they are Commercial Vehicle policies for use the policy holder business and any person the policy holder hirers the vehicle out to (Oh and Social domestic and pleasure use - obviously they know their clients very well so if I take it down the chippy or to get a sunday paper I'm still covered)

Just noticed it specifically mentions that they are (Not Agric Use) 3 machines for a total £425.57 not too bad

i got stopped about a three weeks ago traffic and vosa first thing traffic police did was check what it was insured under then passed it on to vosa .may just this area but they are getting wise to it. why all of a sudden a tractor has to be on a commerercial policy for tree work.

I don't see how they can call it timber haulage if its your own timber you've just bought off some forester to take home and chop up. They said the same on dropping chopped wood in the back off too - they classed it as haulage. I had a similar argument over the same with insuring my ranger, because haulage is someone who has ordered a product, so its therefore theirs to be delivered and knows they want it. The general practice is make the trip, if they like what they see then its payment on unloading, if they don't for any reason, take it back home. I would not call that haulage, its not the same.

Anyhow, they've blown my plans out of the water, if agri/gardening/forestry doesn't cover it now for tractors. It would have been a viable alternative to the unaffordable hgv / O license. A tractor with a 5 ton trailer is much more viable than a 1 ton pickup

Mods - Please feel free to edit bits out this if you feel the need to..

The standard fully comp NFU agri tractor policy excludes the felling and haulage of “trees” other than if they came from your own land.

Trees are NOT the same as processed “timber”, “woodchip” or “stumps” or any other processed item derived from a tree/s on other peoples land.

A tree is a whole item which may or may not include the root ball.

I also believe the “felling of trees” exclusion on other peoples land pertains to the winching or pulling over of trees with your tractor or your use of a chainsaw in felling on others land BUT not the normal use in forestry of your tractor on other people land doing skidding, forwarding etc.

The above is the reply I got from my local NFU office when I asked about the definitions last year, however I may ask them for it in writing! ;)

Also remember how you answer how much contracting you do (based on how much of your companies total income % comes from contracting) affects the loading of the premium, noting that if all/most of your companies income comes from working for others in any way shape or form then that is “contracting” regardless if its agri related or not, so most arb companies will have to declare an appropriately high % of income derived from contracting.

i got stopped about a three weeks ago traffic and vosa first thing traffic police did was check what it was insured under then passed it on to vosa .may just this area but they are getting wise to it. why all of a sudden a tractor has to be on a commerercial policy for tree work.

It's not all of a sudden is it? It was ever thus.

The only thing that’s changed is that modern tractors have become commercially viable and some sectors are using tractors to get around driver licencing, vehicle licencing, MOT, road tax…………..

So now dibble has to check they aren’t on cheap agricultural insurance