Do you use your local pub?

farmer_ben

I live in a tiny little village in Suffolk, and am blessed by having a brilliant local. Its a proper village pub and welcomes the village drinkers with open arms, unlike some of the country foodie pubs.

Sat in there this afternoon having a pint, talking about various people in the village, as you do! and was amazed how few people that I know in the village actually use the pub. It is a friendly good all round pub, that is suited well for the young and old, serves good food and has all the traditional pub games.

Its the only service the village has and is the heart beat of the village but yet is it being supported as well as i feel it should be? probably not! Bet if it was to shut, which can never be ruled out, I bet the people who never use it kick off big time!

Discuss gents

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just moved to Suffolk (Newmarket) and have enjoyed the boozers out of town alot.

My local (150yds) in town, is a dissapointing souless place with naff beer, which is a shame.

There used to be a couple of others within spitting distance of my new house, but they appear to have closed down within the last couple of years or so :thumbdown:

I live in a tiny little village in Suffolk, and am blessed by having a brilliant local. Its a proper village pub and welcomes the village drinkers with open arms, unlike some of the country foodie pubs.

Sat in there this afternoon having a pint, talking about various people in the village, as you do! and was amazed how few people that I know in the village actually use the pub. It is a friendly good all round pub, that is suited well for the young and old, serves good food and has all the traditional pub games.

Its the only service the village has and is the heart beat of the village but yet is it being supported as well as i feel it should be? probably not! Bet if it was to shut, which can never be ruled out, I bet the people who never use it kick off big time!

Discuss gents

In my village we had 3 pubs for years & years, we now have 1 ,one is closed and the other is an indian. Heres my theory as to why village pubs are closing: Villages were always mainly inhabited by working class people and the pub was a major part of their lives, when the council houses were sold and the people who bought them died or sold and moved away , yuppie types moved in, these type of people do not go to the pub every day.

In my village we had 3 pubs for years & years, we now have 1 ,one is closed and the other is an indian. Heres my theory as to why village pubs are closing: Villages were always mainly inhabited by working class people and the pub was a major part of their lives, when the council houses were sold and the people who bought them died or sold and moved away , yuppie types moved in, these type of people do not go to the pub every day.

Indeed they dont, but their are people of all sorts of age and background in my village who dont use it. people my age, similar jobs, same income, same interests but dont visit often.

I dont use my local, but travel abit further afield to another pub which i now class as my local, its about 5miles away. Downside i have to drive, so only have one, but often go in there with a mate and we take it in turns to drive. I go there 2/3 times a week. Great food, sometimes treat myself, lovely staff and they have my favorite cider on tap :D

I pick up alot of work through the pub, everybody there knows im a tree surgeon and general handy man

Just moved to Suffolk (Newmarket) and have enjoyed the boozers out of town alot.

My local (150yds) in town, is a dissapointing souless place with naff beer, which is a shame.

There used to be a couple of others within spitting distance of my new house, but they appear to have closed down within the last couple of years or so :thumbdown:

David, your not far from me (stansfield) check out the compasses, and the queens at hawkedon if your ever this way

I dont use my local, but travel abit further afield to another pub which i now class as my local, its about 5miles away. Downside i have to drive, so only have one, but often go in there with a mate and we take it in turns to drive. I go there 2/3 times a week. Great food, sometimes treat myself, lovely staff and they have my favorite cider on tap :D

thats exactly what im talking about :) my local is 2 miles from the house but other side of the farm yards hedge :)

maybe the ones that are shut are the lapdance club and your not out late enough:001_tt2:

quite ironic this thread should turn as about half hour ago i was discussing with the landlord how many steps it is to my house , he said 45 ! i reckoned it was 60 but in actual fact its 39 (reasonably sober steps) :thumbup1:i love having a local you can support and to be honest the amount of log customers ive had from it i see it as their supporting me too :thumbup1: