Price of firewood

shendy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes strange it is :sneaky2: . If you pay £50 a tonne. A cubic metre has cost £35 for the wood + fuel wear and tear. So either people are not paying £50 a tonne or are selling under sized loads. If you sell for £80 a metre leaves you with £20 for an hours labour if you are lucky.

1 tonne of wood @ £50 will fill 2 x 1 cubic metre bags of split logs which at your quoted rate of £80 per cube will offer a decent return - obviously depending on time taken and delivery distance.

I don't see any way people can pay £100-120 a cube for woodfuel for heating,we burn 25 cubes a year to heat a mid size house so anyone buying in woodfuel as a primary heat source at £100 per cube is wasting money I would have thought.

We certainly do not pay £50 per tonne - it is free to us

cheers

mac

1 tonne of wood @ £50 will fill 2 x 1 cubic metre bags of split logs which at your quoted rate of £80 per cube will offer a decent return - obviously depending on time taken and delivery distance.

I don't see any way people can pay £100-120 a cube for woodfuel for heating,we burn 25 cubes a year to heat a mid size house so anyone buying in woodfuel as a primary heat source at £100 per cube is wasting money I would have thought.

cheers

mac

A metre of timber or 1 tonne of most hardwoods will turn into 1.5 to 1.6 cubic metres not 2 . Most cord suppliers sell by metres not weight now. I dont buy 20 tonnes of timber and get 40 cubic metres of loose logs. Does anyone else. You may get 40 900mm bags.

cheers

mac

Costs of firewood wood per kw is about the same as gas before the last price hike. See the Nottingham Energy Partnership web site. People buying stoves are buying for two reasons: The most common is for a secondary heating + emergency cooking source the fuel for which is not supplied by a national company who give the impression of competing but in reality do not. The second less common reason is to do their bit reducing their carbon footprint. Esse currently sell more wood fired range cookers than all the other types put together. A third is those buring oil or LPG, they pay far more especially the LPG boys. They want to save money and it is easy to show them how, a typical stove installation in an oil fired house could pay for itself in under two years in a cold winters, I sold a guy one this time last year, he says it paid for it self against oil in under one year but he gets his wood very cheap or free.

I still find houses with no heating at all, the stove or open fire is the sole heat source. Not many but they are still there, mainly populated by older folks.

A

Edited by Alycidon

People buying stoves are buying for two reasons: The most common is for a secondary heating + emergency cooking source the fuel for which is not supplied by a national company who give the impression of competing but in reality do not. The second less common reason is to do their bit reducing their carbon footprint. Esse currently sell more wood fired range cookers than all the other types put together.

or 3, they have a free / cheap source of firewood available to them.

I've just replaced one stove with another that will also service the rads and hw. It's bloody lovely. I've got about 20 cube split and stored ready for when it gets cold.

My main reason is energy security / independence. I've made friends with a local arable farmer and I give him 'what I think it's worth' to him for wind blown limbs etc. In return, I tidy it up for him.

I wouldn't do it if I had to pay some of the prices mentioned on here. Oh and I did some calcs on the numbers - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/33748-comparing-cost-firewood-other-fuels.html

I wouldn't do it if I had to pay some of the prices mentioned on here. Oh and I did some calcs on the numbers - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/33748-comparing-cost-firewood-other-fuels.html

These are the latest figures: I had not seen these and they reflect the price increases in logs this year.

Energy Cost Comparison | Nottingham Energy Partnership

The object of the exercise is to get the public burning more wood.

A

These are the latest figures: I had not seen these and they reflect the price increases in logs this year.

From those figures it looks as though they are costing a cube of seasoned hardwood e.g. loosely packed in a builders bag (400kg) would be just over £70.

I'd say that was a bit on the cheap side, looking at some of the prices on here.

Energy Cost Comparison | Nottingham Energy Partnership

The object of the exercise is to get the public burning more wood.

A

They don't reflect the prices being bandied around on here - a 1 cu metre bag , box or whatever will be lucky to hold 0.5 cu metre of solid timber, assuming it is thrown into the bag, box or trailer. Which at a typical density of 700kg/m3 equates to :-

22.53p/kg at £80 per cube

28.57p/kg at £100 per cube

34.28p/kg at £120 per cube

The price they quote (17.66p / Kg) comes out at £61.81 for a 1 cubic metre bag of seasoned logs. 85% boiler efficiency looks pretty optimistic as well but that is another thread.

Cheers

mac

Edited by muldonach