Working Smarter My Top Ten Tips

Arbmatic

1. Avoid repetition: Anything that is repeated on a computer can be automated. But this statement goes further look at your travel and your business processes. Often if it is repeated it can be doubled up. It is all about organisation.

2. Don't over elaborate: Often you can be convinced that over complicated systems and equipment are best. Decide what you require and make sure you get that.

3. Cost vs Quality: If you need quality then make sure it is worth it. If it costs an arm and a leg make sure it is quality.

4. Help me: Don't be afraid to ask for help and advice, and remember to listen and write it down.

5. There is always a deal to be done: Always ask for more if you need more and to pay less if you want to pay less.

6. Overall cost: When you buy something it is not just the up-front cost you have to pay. What are the running costs, will it meet your needs in the future, what is the replacement costs, what are the support and training costs.

7. Organisation: The quicker you finish things, the quicker you can invoice, and the quicker you can move on to the next job.

8. Break up your day: If you do the same task for hours on end you will get tired and bored, look at all your tasks and break up your day to fit them in.

9. Be reflective: Look back on each day and think 'How Could I have Worked Smarter!.

10. Communicate: Communication will bring you education, knowledge, contracts, contacts and feedback.

1. Avoid repetition: Anything that is repeated on a computer can be automated. But this statement goes further look at your travel and your business processes. Often if it is repeated it can be doubled up. It is all about organisation.

2. Don't over elaborate: Often you can be convinced that over complicated systems and equipment are best. Decide what you require and make sure you get that.

3. Cost vs Quality: If you need quality then make sure it is worth it. If it costs an arm and a leg make sure it is quality.

4. Help me: Don't be afraid to ask for help and advice, and remember to listen and write it down.

5. There is always a deal to be done: Always ask for more if you need more and to pay less if you want to pay less.

6. Overall cost: When you buy something it is not just the up-front cost you have to pay. What are the running costs, will it meet your needs in the future, what is the replacement costs, what are the support and training costs.

7. Organisation: The quicker you finish things, the quicker you can invoice, and the quicker you can move on to the next job.

8. Break up your day: If you do the same task for hours on end you will get tired and bored, look at all your tasks and break up your day to fit them in.

9. Be reflective: Look back on each day and think 'How Could I have Worked Smarter!.

10. Communicate: Communication will bring you education, knowledge, contracts, contacts and feedback.

Shame, I thought this was going to be packed with handy hints about everyday tree work.

My top tip is

Don't try and do everything yourself

Give others a chance to shine

If they do shine-then give them more chances then more money then your job- then move on:biggrin:

Good tip that and one I should remember :thumbup1:

Im guilty of doing all the tool work because it pains Me to watch people that are slow because of a lack of experience. Its a vicious circle and one I should break as it would pay off in the end to let the guys build up there experience and thus the speed they can work at.

My tip is to put family first and work second :001_smile:

How do i manage that when i am stacking timber road side or splitting timber to dry ?