Nptc

Ian Leach

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So is everyone clear... the high price for your training is not up to NPTC, its up to the trainer and the assessment centre who figure out what they want/need to charge to make a go as a service provider business.

CS 30 is about 40 pounds for the nptc registration...everything else is the training and assessment fee and it does vary!

I deliver Lantra and nptc overseas, trainers and assessors are paid $65 per hour, we add $20 to cover admin costs...the nptc reg is over $80 because of the exchange rate, it takes time to process the registrations and mail stuff to the UK, so add a bit more....see where I'm going?

You need to shop around for a good training price, AND check the pedigree of the trainers!

As for the 4:1 it generally works...I can get everyone off the mark with the basics, then if I have a couple of muppets, have them together for a bit more detailed attention, and set tasks for the ones who are doing ok. It is a fine balance to know when to let someone go off and practice something you have demo'd and watched them do, knowing they'll be ok, and knowing who needs constant supervision.

Every now and then someone comes along who has't got a clue and will never get it...had a couple of those, at least they got a Lantra cert of attendance, and left after three days a less dangerous operator. (just cs 30, they'd NEVER make it to 31!)

I do emphasize that they now know the BASICS to keep them relatively safe , the speed, fluidity, and deeper understanding will only come with time and experience, but they HAVE to start somewhere!

Nptc = National Proficiency Tests Council

& thats it, they do not teach !!!

though some assessors may also be tutors (usually lantra registered)

this is outside their nptc work !!

as an Assessor 'I test' the candidate who may have/or not had some prior tuition,

the Assessor is arranged / employed via the assessment centre, NOT the training provider, this is to ensure impartiallity.

the college charges are for tuition, equipment and usually include the cost of candidate registration with nptc & also the assessment fee

You can book an assessment direct through your regional assessment centre http://www.nptc.org.uk/assessment-centres/default.asp?county=none

there is NO need to do the tuition if you or your employee believe that you/they can fulfill the criteria as laid down in the schedule these are downloadable from nptc's web page

http://www.nptc.org.uk/qualifications/

rgds Iain

Edited by Yorkshireman

Nice one Yorkshireman, took the words out of my mouth.

NPTC is a certificate of competence, thats all. If you are already competent at your job and feel that you are, just register and do the assessment.

you don't need training, just go on to the nptc web site, print of the schedule, read it, understand what you need to show the assessor and prove your competence to him!

Admittadly the registration fees are, in my opinion, a tad daylight robbery but its a hoop that we have to jump through and better the assessed competent fool than the plain old fool that doesn't know any different me thinks.

At least if some one kills themselves having been assessed at the highest level there is no excuse for poor work practice.

Don't get me on to the the contents of the schedules because some are very silly and i may not stop ranting and get in to trouble!!

It does take along time to bring some people up to the standards though, and i am talking about 10 years experience without tickets as well as newbies. You would be surprised. No way you could do it all in a few weeks to bring them to a basic level of safety.

Incidently, having passed c.s.31, you can now go on and do Multiple wind blown. Thats what the nptc came up with after their revision period.

so after felling a 15" tree competently, you could train to let loose in a wind blown woodland with out the winching and felling techniques of 32 and 33.

hmmm a bit of a difference in 15" trees and 100 footers stacked up in Grizedale me thinks?

Nice one NPTC.

Nice one Yorkshireman, took the words out of my mouth.

NPTC is a certificate of competence, thats all. If you are already competent at your job and feel that you are, just register and do the assessment.

you don't need training, just go on to the nptc web site, print of the schedule, read it, understand what you need to show the assessor and prove your competence to him!

Admittadly the registration fees are, in my opinion, a tad daylight robbery but its a hoop that we have to jump through and better the assessed competent fool than the plain old fool that doesn't know any different me thinks.

At least if some one kills themselves having been assessed at the highest level there is no excuse for poor work practice.

Don't get me on to the the contents of the schedules because some are very silly and i may not stop ranting and get in to trouble!!

It does take along time to bring some people up to the standards though, and i am talking about 10 years experience without tickets as well as newbies. You would be surprised. No way you could do it all in a few weeks to bring them to a basic level of safety.

Incidently, having passed c.s.31, you can now go on and do Multiple wind blown. Thats what the nptc came up with after their revision period.

so after felling a 15" tree competently, you could train to let loose in a wind blown woodland with out the winching and felling techniques of 32 and 33.

hmmm a bit of a difference in 15" trees and 100 footers stacked up in Grizedale me thinks?

Nice one NPTC.

Very good post!