Nptc

Ian Leach

I was looking through the nptc website and i was wondering what can you actually do with cs39. Is it just a basic, show you a few different techniques to get you started. By law what does it allow you to do?

It doesn't allow you to prune,pollard or section fell because there are other units for that(cs40,46,41).

I am just trying to plan ahead eg. council work and various other organisations. Oviously they like to see all your certs. Does time served really apply any more in this health and saftey world.

Also is it necessary to have Chipper, hedge trimmer certs or is that going over the top.

Any help would be great,

Ian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO it allows you to deadwood and remove branches. That is slightly different to pruning but not much, its all a bit silly.

A frind of mine was told he could not dismantle a tee leaving just the trunk and then fell the trunk because he didn't have an nptc for felling poles.

He had the dismantling ticket and the felling tickets and 20 years experience, but was told he could dismantle the tree to ground level or fell it in one but he was not qualified to dismantle it to a pole and then fell the pole!! crazy

It seems that CS39 is a pre-requisite for CS40 & 41. 39 allows you to use a chainsaw from a rope and harness, which then means you can proceed with further assessments enabling you to carry put the work. I think they should revise it so that CS39 & 40 are combined.

Why do 40?

39 gives you chainsaw from rope and harness, 40 combines 38/39 and basically how to do reductions (no more than theory IMHO). You still cannot sectionally fell/rigg down/block down a stem until you have 41.

I would not waste money on 40, esp if you are doing some sort of theory qualification.

Get chipper cert, only a day + ass (optional as AFAG 805 states training eg lantra but cert eg NPTC not required)

What a load of bull.

you cant do this untill you have that nptc have done this so you have to do the lot.

Cutting trees cant be tought by some week long courses.

It takes years of experience. Its about time we were rewarded for the amount of time served.

Why do you guys wonder why so many people dont get qualified whats the point i wasted so much money for nothing i mean council work is underpriced and not worth the hassell .

A frind of mine was told he could not dismantle a tee leaving just the trunk and then fell the trunk because he didn't have an nptc for felling poles.

He had the dismantling ticket and the felling tickets and 20 years experience, but was told he could dismantle the tree to ground level or fell it in one but he was not qualified to dismantle it to a pole and then fell the pole!! crazy

That's twaddle!

The pole qualification is for felling utility poles i e phone or electric.

Who says what size the pieces have to be that are going to be dismantled?

He was "dismantling" the last part of the tree from the ground as his risk assessment showed that it was safer than having some one working at height with a saw etc, etc, blah, blah.....

BTW, Ben's going back tomorrow to chog down the last two slices of that poplar off the spikes now he knocked the top out!:001_tongue:

Did not think the question related to the validity of NPTC to proove competance, Ian just appeared to be asking for advice.

It would take a fool to think some week long courses could proove competance, but people have to start somewhere dont they?

Then again thats why its a public forum, so people can express constructive opinion which will hopefully benifit and help others, especially people like me who do not know everything.

that's twaddle!

The pole qualification is for felling utility poles i e phone or electric.

Yeah I know its twaddle! Its what happenned though. A tree officer told him he wasn't qualified to fell the stem of a tree he had just removed all the limb off of!

Another example of how stupid the system is.