Why can't I get insurance for a hire tractor?

Ford Forester

Hi people,

I'm on a bit of a sticky wicket at the moment. I am currently in the process of trying to hire a tractor for a fortnight. I have access to a forwarding trailer so just need the tractor to pull it. (I will be buying my own kit in maybe 6 months). I have about 300 tonnes to get out, so 2 weeks should be plenty as I am very experienced at forwarding. The problem is, no one will insure me. NFU will only do annual policies. "ok," I said "well seeing as I'm gonna get my own later, I'll just put the insurance in place, then it covers me every time I hire in". she said they can't do that as it isn't my machine, and if I hire in again, even from same firm, it might not be exactly the same tractor! She said that if i had my own kit, and owned it, they could cover me for hiring in plant. "But if i had my own kit I WOULDNT BE HIRING IN YOU STU..." GRRR

I have tried AXA, NFU, the hire firm itself( they can't be bothered with the paperwork so leave it to customers. Ive even tried attaching it to my car insurance. (he asked if I would be towing it behind my car....( give me strength). Does anyone else have this problem, or can anyone recommend an insurer or a solution, or both?

Paul

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems unusual, i hired in a compact tractor to get me out of a muddle a few weeks ago and the hire company insisted it was on their insurance and not mine, they said it was to stop any arguing if there was an accident or theft of the machine, by the way i paid the princely sum of £45 plus diesel for the days hire which i thought was really cheap.

Yeah, after my first three calls (AXA, who my PL insurance is with, the NFU and then Trust insurance( who Had a concern about it being on the road at any time) I called them back to see if they would donut themselves, but they said they'd have a employ a full time member of staff to take call and deal with the paperwork, sonthey can't be bothered. This is Ace plant at Milton Keynes. They say most of their customers use the NFU and they tend to be farmers who these days hire in kit when they need it rather than buy themselves.

This really seems retarded to me. Why would having to hire someone full time to handel calls and paper work have any thing to do with serving you as a customer. Is this company in the business of disservice? I would think they would have their own insurance available for such a situation, why they do not or don't want to be bothered is a real pitty. Sorry this reply is not of more assistance. Keep at it you will over come, as have most in this business.

easy-lift guy.

I did think of that. Snag is that if I got my wood out, there is bout £7-8K revenue to come in. I don't have much cash right now as I am going through a messy divorce, can't really take out any more loans ( due to divorce proceedings also), so have to hire in really. As she said last night, I never knew it would be that hard...

You could try ringing Brian Pearce insurance brokers in Gravesend. Nowhere near me, but my parents used to use them and between us we've asked them some really tricky ones over the years (can you insure a canal boat in the garden; how do I get insurance to use chainsaws on other people's land not for hire or reward...) and they've always come up with an answer.

Alec