big ash with heavy lean towards wires

dadio

side leaners are tricksy. i always pull them 'over-centre' where possible to keep them balanced. i think there was still too much weight on that and it clearly fell way out of line with the hinge. A testament to the tensile strength of ash ( and maybe theyre judgement ) but hey i wouldnt call that a controlled fell. ive seen those situations go bad. and that fence got off lightly. I wouldnt have done it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant get it to play now!:001_rolleyes:

but all credit if you were sure about it. :thumbup1:

usually the tension side of the hingegives way too easily under the shifting stress and the thing falls somewhere between the hinge direction and the COG direction. i play it safe these days and that was a play it safe for me. I'd still be there tho!

For clarity,

the truck did not do the pullig.. there were two control lines AKA guy lines, AKA right angle lines.. The first line is double braid with 10,000 lb tensile, run through a block and tied off to the pick up. that was pretensioned by the driver listening to my command. I watched the tree, got as much lift as wanted and told him to stop.

The true blue was set up with a 6:1 MA system and tensioned by hand with 4 men pulling on the line. Max force on the tree estimated at about 2,000 lbs. Max force on the rope estimated at about 1000 lbs. If you listen carefully in the video, you can see that when the true blue was tensioned by hand, it caused the line that had been pretensioned with the truck to go slack, showing that there was significantly less than the estimated 2000 lbs on the line tensioned with the pick up. The pick up was then pulled up again by verbal command until the tree just started to move slightly. Leaving an estimated max of 2000 lbs on that line. The truck was then used as a ground anchor.. it did not move ....

What wasn't shown on the video was how much the tree was stood up.. might have moved 8-10'... At that point I knew there was no change of losing the tree to the side-weight. If it had gone differently, I might have closed the road temporarily..

The tree was then fairly well balanced, and only needed a little persuasion to get it going to the lay. That pull was done with a skid loader, which was off camera.

Still peddling your trash Daniel. Suppose being the Dadio requires you to seek the accolades from the dumb masses. It's like watching an attempted suicide without any hope of your demise - sad

Are you insulting Dadio here or any arbtalk member who happens to make a positive comment about his video? I can't quite decide

For the first time Daniel, I thought this was a good video/fell. Get it down on the deck and safe as quickly as possible. Ive had my fair share of difficult fells, tricky trees and storm damage since Hurricane Irene hit a month ago, some crazy a55 5hit! Well done, good job. (And no BS!)