Off-roading 29th October

Matthew Arnold

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next excursion will most likely be up on Salisbury Plain and finish with the Ox drove again. Providing the Ox Drove doesn't have a blanket TRO on it like it did 2 years ago.

With a bit of luck there will be more TRO's put on our national parks, to stop 4x4 and motor x bikes chewing up the lanes. Only my opinion :001_rolleyes:

Ouch. Go in too quick or did it just stop dead?

Nice pics, hope your well on the road to a full recovery.

easy-lift guy

Im not a fan of off roading as it were.....I do enough at work TBH.

My brother is and had coe to visit and we ended up at this off road site. I started with an already bent track rod, and it just got worse. We strightened (ish) it a couple of times, and that bog was pretty rancid at the bottom. I winched myslef out, but soon after bent the track rod so badly the tyres were jammed on the chassis and i eventually snapped the winch wire and it cost me 2 half shafts and a cv joint. Bugger.:thumbdown:

02082008043.jpg.13415412752205694f95d2e82480ad71.jpg

I don't think that there is anything wrong in "off roading" especially at an organised venue where no damage can be done to the natural rural environs in the name of fun.

In my opinion, "green laning" should be permitted to ensure that the byeway is kept open but the activity should be halted if the trackway is impassable by a 2 wheel drive or at least a vehicle without the diff locked and wheels spinning and your towbar being used as a plough.

Relatively few people re-instate or repair any greenlanes or byeways after being used for purely recreational purposes. I enjoyed getting my Landrovers etc mucky but thought it was irresponsible doing it in the name of fun.

I would prefer it if people who wanted to get all wet and dirty, did it in a quarry or some such.