brown garden conifer hedges - sick or frost

blazer

I have seen alot of well trimmed conifer hedges and shaped free standing with large brown patches but some new green growth:confused1:

Is this caused by frost damage, being cut back too much, or sick in some way; fungus or infection.

I don't have any in my garden but am often asked what should be done about them, cut them down or leave to see what happens.

Thanks in advance:thumbup1:

Sounds like cypress aphid to me and as Sam66s said the denser the foliage the worst it is. We spray it with Bandu (Deltamethrin) over a number of years which usualy helps to get rid of them.

With experience I have been recommending to leave the hedge slightly longer because the aphids and thrips, which do most of the damage just love cross cropped hedge. Its easier for them to get into. I have also noticed a lot more spiderwebs on cypress this year and I am wondering if spiders have found another food source and are becoming a predator.

Also to find out if it is Cypress aphid, take a sheet of white paper with you and rub the hedge where it looks 'dead' and catch anything with the sheet of paper. Usually you will find mites and thrips.

The wife is getting a bit fed up with me going around running my hand through dead patches of hedging to check for mites.

I have seen alot of well trimmed conifer hedges and shaped free standing with large brown patches but some new green growth:confused1:

Is this caused by frost damage, being cut back too much, or sick in some way; fungus or infection.

I don't have any in my garden but am often asked what should be done about them, cut them down or leave to see what happens.

Thanks in advance:thumbup1:

seen a few more this year including one i cut earlier in year- would say many are due to frost damage last winter!!