What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I've had my one out to play and yes it is the Gunson Hi Guage, so it's just a matter of taking the schrader out and putting the presta (aka high pressure bike valve) in with a converter?

You can measure the secondary pressure (typical compression) with the gunson as it is. Any other pressure/leakdown/vacuum checks are done with different gauges!

You can measure the secondary pressure (typical compression) with the gunson as it is. Any other pressure/leakdown/vacuum checks are done with different gauges!

I understand that but I was asking about the presta conversion, this is using the valve as used on "racing bicylces" of my youth because of the negligible back pressure.

As I said I'll try and pressurise the crankcase using blanking plate and a seeley coolant leak tester.

I understand that but I was asking about the presta conversion, this is using the valve as used on "racing bicylces" of my youth because of the negligible back pressure.

As I said I'll try and pressurise the crankcase using blanking plate and a seeley coolant leak tester.

I got fed up with blowing these schrader valves so did a conversion on my gauge that gave me a more reliable way of testing some of the high compression ported saws I create and run.

For normal day to day use, you should find the gauge is fine out of the box, especially if you use some light pulls before the 5-6 you need to display maximum compression.

The presta gauges have a low spring rate making them suitable for this application but there is a bit more to it than slapping in a different valve - just use the standard set up, it will give you the correct reading.

Hi Our HL95 must have some sort of fuel problem as it will only run on full revs on full choke any ideas what I can do to fix it before I lose it for a couple of weeks in the shop?

Sounds like you have a fuel restriction as it will not make full revs without being on full choke but in reality, it shouldn't get to being anywhere near full revs on full choke.

This being said - it may be fine sawdust in the carb internal gauze filter stopping good flow of fuel. It may be a holed fuel line where it is easier for the carb to pull air in through the hole rather than fuel through the fuel filter and fuel pipe. The fuel line generally fails where it pulls through the fuel tank - just had one of these on a 325HE!

An air leak or loose carb is possible so check the impulse connection if it is a separate pipe and the tightness of the carb.

It is possible someone has messed with the H screw setting - better find this out - perhaps 1/4 - 1/2 turn anti clockwise may do it but don't use this to mask a fault.

Other then that - these four strokes are unreliable at best so worth looking at the tappet clearance as this can have some dramatic effects on the engine running correctly.