What's on your bench today?

spudulike

On Stihl MS200t, I believe the single large lip genuine seals are a little under designed.

Simple fix £7 parts, 15 minutes to change if the saw is stripped for a deep clean.

You would spend that time trying to adjust the carb, upping the L screw trying to compensate for a small crankcase leak.

H-A

Its never taken me 15 minutes to adjust the L screw by 2 or 3 degrees, besides which, as I said before, the seals rarely cause problems.

Sure, its a simple fix if they need fixing, but to describe the seals as a 'service item' is IMO, a bit over the top.

to describe the seals as a 'service item' is IMO, a bit over the top.

May be a little proactive, but could help to give the desired result, as long as the owner is aware of the service breakdown and implications of going a little deeper than a sparkplug change and a blow clean with an air line.

H-A

Anyway, seals aside.

Had a classic example today as to how easy it is to jump to the wrong conclusion. A Stihl HL95 that would not turn over. The engine would turn half a turn then stop with a jolt.

It felt like a broken con rod, but somehow a bit more precise.

So took the engine off and noticed the clutch drum bearing had failed, so made a note to fix later, and carried on dismantling the engine. Carb and tank off ready to take pot off, the removed flywheel.

Went to remove starter cup and noticed that the engine was now free and the crank / con rod felt fine.

It turned out that a ball from the clutch bearing had found its way round the back of the flywheel and located itself neatly in a balance hole, where it was held tight by the magnetism. This ball then locked against the flywheel housing.

I am just glad I had not ripped the pot off first.

P1000636.JPG.464da22f32e0e4da5b9de2536a4db756.JPG

P1000633.JPG.b137a407569fc070756e2d98882f9abb.JPG

P1000635.JPG.a2471f79a0c8e5c5c3fb820671c2dc41.JPG

May be a little proactive, but could help to give the desired result, as long as the owner is aware of the service breakdown and implications of going a little deeper than a sparkplug change and a blow clean with an air line.

H-A

As Ray said, we would never have any service work if we were to charge for totally unnecessary work like that.

Crank seals are a repair item, not a service item.

As Ray said, we would never have any service work if we were to charge for totally unnecessary work like that.

Crank seals are a repair item, not a service item.

Generally when I get these saws in, I strongly recommend one of my FULL refurbs and part of this is a pressure/vac/compression check which will throw up even a slight leak in the seals.

I would only do this on a full refurb and not a general service or fixing a specific issue unless that issue was holding on to revs on throttle release.

A service entails a clean out with an airline, inspection, a run up and if the saw has been playing up, a carb inspect, clean and rebuild which 95% of the time will resolve the main issues. I rarely do this and have fixed specific faults before only to have the saw back in a week for a broken recoil cord and clutch spring.....typical, the fault I fixed was still fine!

Personally I believe that toppers should be as close to 100% as is possible, no one wants a foul behaving MS200T up the top of a tree half way through the day after fatigue has set in - this is why I recommend the full rebuild on older faulty saws and do what I do in such detail.

So - a full rebuild gets a pressure/vac check, bogging/bad idle and hanging on to revs gets the same, a minor service gets none of this!

I find that, generally, commercial users will not commit to even a full service. They usually only want a repair done.

This OK as long as they understand that I have only fixed what was requested and will not be responsible for any subsequent failure of other items. The trouble is that they often say "just fix (for example) the chain brake, the rest of it is fine", but when I fix that, I notice all sorts of little issues that really should be fixed. And these are only the things I see without delving.

These are the sort of things that will fail shortly after the machine is returned. But if I were to do the extra repairs it can often tip the balance as to wether the repair is economically viable in the eyes of the owner. (communication is then paramount)

I would sooner be asked to do a full service as well as repair, because that way I can inspect every item and quote accordingly for repairs over and above the service. If I then do the service and repair I will stand by the machine when it goes back, as if I have missed anything then it is my fault, I will correct it at my expense.

A request for a full refurb would involve 'an open check book' as we will run up costs in the investigation process and some parts may need fixing in order to test other components.

Life is never easy.

Life is never easy.

Too bloody right:lol: a large percentage of kit I get in is the arbs doorstop that he eventually decides is better working that falling over:001_rolleyes::lol:

Anyway - for those who are always asking, I AM REBUILDING ONE OF MY MS200Ts

Yup, it is on its way, the crank bearings have zero play and 155psi dry so am expecting it to be pretty good.

It will have a full pressure/vac check, I will up the compression to make it have more grunt in the cut and will have all worn parts replaced so anyone interested - PM me.....sorry Mods - think I have earnt it:thumbup:

Too bloody right:lol: a large percentage of kit I get in is the arbs doorstop that he eventually decides is better working that falling over:001_rolleyes::lol:

Anyway - for those who are always asking, I AM REBUILDING ONE OF MY MS200Ts

Yup, it is on its way, the crank bearings have zero play and 155psi dry so am expecting it to be pretty good.

It will have a full pressure/vac check, I will up the compression to make it have more grunt in the cut and will have all worn parts replaced so anyone interested - PM me.....sorry Mods - think I have earnt it:thumbup:

rules are rules! lets lock the thread then delete it!!!!!! :lol: