What's on your bench today?

spudulike

yes. but be very carefull, dont wedge it too much, but it will need a good push, hit the end of the flywheel with the mallet hard, it will jump off with the screwdriver puishing from behind.

When using this technique, I would also put the nut back on, fingertight, then back it off a couple of turns. This way, you hit the nut and don't risk bruising the thread. Once the flywheel is loose, you can take the nut back off.

Alec

For what it's worth, in situations like that I avoid the screwdriver method.

I loosen the nut and wind it so it's flush with the end of the crank, then I pick the saw up by the flywheel (letting the weight of the engine hang off the flywheel) and give the end of the crank a couple smart raps with a steel hammer. Note not anything soft like brass or plastic mallet. I think it needs to be a steel hammer to properly shock it off.

Works for me anyway.

For what it's worth, in situations like that I avoid the screwdriver method.

I loosen the nut and wind it so it's flush with the end of the crank, then I pick the saw up by the flywheel (letting the weight of the engine hang off the flywheel) and give the end of the crank a couple smart raps with a steel hammer. Note not anything soft like brass or plastic mallet. I think it needs to be a steel hammer to properly shock it off.

Works for me anyway.

You beat me to it, perfect method, the only thing I can add is, you may be able to slide thin webbing straps behind the flywheel.

Then hold the saw by the straps, one or two sharp taps with a middle sized hammer.

This also works for me.

H-A

Seriously??? :001_unsure:

It generally works well with small saws with roller crank bearings, for the larger saws I generally use pullers or the Stihl tool.

You do need to go easy to avoid any damage but it is a method that is used by many with success.

Spinning the crank wheel round 180 degrees and trying again can help tricky ones.

I have made puller extensions before out of steel to pull off flywheels.

These small Dolmar/Makitas often use needle rollers - the Dolmar 309 I had was very similar.

If you get stuck with it mate I can run it into a friends shop, they will get it off without bashing the granny out of it if it is a bit reluctant to let go.

Cheers mate. It's only one that was laying around at St L's. I thought I would see if I could sort it out as a spare for Ian to practise on. Btw, shame you couldn't make it yesterday. I think you might grow to like the 'drome. :001_smile:

generator issue.

today i got given a generator. small two stroke. the engine is running a bit fast. this im not worried about.

when its in use it will run for about 30secs, then the trip will kick in and it wont give any output. does it everytime.

would this do this with the engine running fast. and i mean it screams, fast running causing the charge to oevrload?

generator issue.

today i got given a generator. small two stroke. the engine is running a bit fast. this im not worried about.

when its in use it will run for about 30secs, then the trip will kick in and it wont give any output. does it everytime.

would this do this with the engine running fast. and i mean it screams, fast running causing the charge to oevrload?

Yup, faster engine = higher output = higher voltage, which will trip the damn thing every time

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App