What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Where can I get gasket material?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Various engineering suppliers for the proper stuff, or try ebay searching for 'gasket material'. However, the alternative is to buy a bottle of gasket shellac compound and use thin card (not shiny on either side). Apply the gasket shellac to the card so that it soaks in and seals it - proof against fuel, oil etc.

It's a lot of hassle, buying a gasket is a lot easier and pretty cheap, but the above works well for NLA parts.

Alec

Various engineering suppliers for the proper stuff, or try ebay searching for 'gasket material'. However, the alternative is to buy a bottle of gasket shellac compound and use thin card (not shiny on either side). Apply the gasket shellac to the card so that it soaks in and seals it - proof against fuel, oil etc.

It's a lot of hassle, buying a gasket is a lot easier and pretty cheap, but the above works well for NLA parts.

Alec

Yeah, the gasket I need has been obsolete for a good few years I would imagine

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Got a cub cadet 84cm cut mower in for a new spindle and a DR 13hp mower awaiting a new blade drive belt after the last one which lasted 3 years nearly snapped on me today. The BCS is currently awaiting nearly 200 quids worth of bits which are obsolete now due to the age of our machine.

Always worth holding a stock of gasket paper or hard to find gaskets. Once made a complete crankcase gasket :thumbup:

Always useful when tuning saws as well

I must admit, I use the plain cardboard and gasket shellac compound route myself - most recently brought into play when the 076 carb to pot gasket disintegrated when I took the carb off and I simply couldn't be bothered to buy a single gasket. This one isn't thickness critical and is well clamped down by the bolts. The stuff also smells really nice :001_smile:

Alec

Something else which is finally no longer on my bench - 070 with sheared off lugs on the back of the starter cup. These have now been rebuilt by very careful welding - some of the most unpleasant material I've done yet as it kept blowing holes in the parent and had to be buttered, run over to re-melt and the blow holes ground out, then repeated until the surface was finally solid, then the parts built up and finally machined to fit. Being a set of lugs, it wasn't really suitable for turning, so went on the mill instead, with a rotary table. One of the more challenging repairs.

On to the 066 next - got until July 15th before it hopefully gets a serious outing.

Alec

039 – loose spark plug wire – crimped and sorted

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6527-20130419-095452.jpg

Mountfield M4 – carb clean and service – probably my fave mower ever

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6530-20130518-125628.jpg

Hayterette bringing back from the dead – including fitting new blade – what a performance getting the old blade adaptor off – heat, chemicals, angle grinder to finish

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6529-20130517-090957.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6528-20130515-221550.jpg

And this little labour of love – a skip find

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6525-20130330-123823.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6526-20130402-130942.jpg

And worst for last – and thanks to billsmowers over the weekend for a bit of useful advice – a Chinese Honda knock off engine over revving – governor arm was slipping – what absolute cr**p construction – the whole assembly seemed to be made out of biscuit tins

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6531-20130519-124652.jpg

The Chonda

Nice shade of Mountfield Red there Mike:biggrin:

Just off home now, had a day of saws and brushcutters, but I am glad I left the 200t till last. Needed the oil pump removed and blown through backwards to clear the crap from the pump inlet as is normal with these things. Also a full service, but as the oil tank vent has been leaking the thing was bluby filthy. Some Jizer and the air line got it clean, but it seemed to transfer most of it to me.

How can you get so much filth from such a small saw?