What's on your bench today?

spudulike

The last job today was an MS180 which would not start. The owner had unintentionally broken the throttle shaft because he had forced the choke down without squeezing the throttle, a common fault.

Got it running, so he wanted a full service, nothing wrong with it, he said. But it would not oil the chain.

So it was a case of pulling the pump out to clean out the little plug of sawdust blocking the input hole. reassembled and it was fine.

To get the pump out you first need to pry the front AV from the frame and lever the handle to one side and wedge it there. A 19mm socket wedges it nicely.

Then remove the pipe from the pump cavity and screw a long 5mm bolt into the pump. Using a vice grip on the bolt. pull the pump from the cavity, clean it and reinsert it ensuring the discharge hole lines up with the port. Simples.

[ATTACH]109630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109631[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109632[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109633[/ATTACH]

Yes - fiddly little machines to work on, the other common fault with the oiler is for the oiler pinion gear metal arm to slide around the plastic clutch gear on high hours machines:thumbdown:

I've done that job before gardenkit.

I did unbolt the handle complete as I didn't want to exert too much pressure on the mounts for the handle and either weaken or break them.

Don't see why they couldn't have drilled a hole in the handle for easy access to the oiler tho.

But now I know the handle can put up with it.

I mentioned a few days ago that rather than scrap some of my non runners I might offer them to Arbtalk members for a donation to The Childrens Trust.

This one is a runner. It came in for a service and a chain, but when quoted, the customer decided to upgrade to a new saw instead and bought a Huskie 140.

I have not checked it, so i don't know how good it is, and am not going to spend time on it, so its up for grabs exactly as it is with no promises.

The first bidder to offer a £20 donation (on this thread) to The Childrens Trust will be the new owner. The bidder must make the donation and forward me the receipt from the Trust. I will then box it up for collection by whatever means the bidder chooses.

This one is better than average, most will be non runners and with smaller donations.

[ATTACH]107374[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]107375[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]107376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]107377[/ATTACH]

I picked this saw up from Barrie over Christmas and have finally got home with it and had chance to look it over.

Really pleased with my purchase :thumbup:

Got to spend a bit more time with it, intermittent problem with the off switch, bar needs dressing and it's running rich - 11000 rev at the moment.

So with a couple of hours in the workshop I should have myself a nice little domestic saw.

Thanks Barrie, get some more up for sale, I'm coming back down again some time in February!

I picked this saw up from Barrie over Christmas and have finally got home with it and had chance to look it over.

Really pleased with my purchase :thumbup:

Got to spend a bit more time with it, intermittent problem with the off switch, bar needs dressing and it's running rich - 11000 rev at the moment.

So with a couple of hours in the workshop I should have myself a nice little domestic saw.

Thanks Barrie, get some more up for sale, I'm coming back down again some time in February!

I'm glad you are pleased with it Bob.

You have a saw, I have space and The Chldrens Trust has £20. Everyone's happy.

It was good to meet you.

The last job today was an MS180 which would not start. The owner had unintentionally broken the throttle shaft because he had forced the choke down without squeezing the throttle, a common fault.

Got it running, so he wanted a full service, nothing wrong with it, he said. But it would not oil the chain.

So it was a case of pulling the pump out to clean out the little plug of sawdust blocking the input hole. reassembled and it was fine.

To get the pump out you first need to pry the front AV from the frame and lever the handle to one side and wedge it there. A 19mm socket wedges it nicely.

Then remove the pipe from the pump cavity and screw a long 5mm bolt into the pump. Using a vice grip on the bolt. pull the pump from the cavity, clean it and reinsert it ensuring the discharge hole lines up with the port. Simples.

[ATTACH]109630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109631[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109632[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109633[/ATTACH][/quote

Hello, my 181 leaks chain oil.. When not running just leave it sat on the shelf and it covers everything. Could this be the problem?? Doesn't get used often and hasn't had a hard life.

Cheers Ashley

Hello, my 181 leaks chain oil.. When not running just leave it sat on the shelf and it covers everything. Could this be the problem?? Doesn't get used often and hasn't had a hard life.

Cheers Ashley

Has been covered hundreds of times in this forum.

Start by having a look though one of these threads: https://www.google.com/search?q=chain+oil+leak+site%3Aarbtalk.co.uk

As Moreton says, it has been covered before, but it can be time consuming to search.

Does your oil tank drain right out, or does it just get a little messy.

Many people complain of leaks on saws, and most of the time there is no fault. There is a natural tendancy for the bar grooves, the oilways, and oil saturated into sawdust, to drain down after use.

Keep the saw on a piece of thick cardboard, it will soak up loads of oil neatly.

I can't help thinking that you have the wrong diaphragms for the carb, or the wrong needle or arm.

A thought has just occurred to me though. This may not be the case here, but I have come across some old carbs (I can't remember which) where the metering diaphragm centre peg is grooved an sits into a little fork on the lever (like the needle does)

If this is the case here it could explain the diaphragm being too high if not assembled properly?.

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture5964-20130106-125820.jpg

Bang on the money Barrie and thanks Spud too.

Opened it up again and exactly as you described - metering diaphragm peg was grooved. I had the diaphragm peg sitting on top of lever not engaged with it. Removed my homemade extra gasket (pictured) put it back and she'll hold pressure all day. Cheers guys.

FOR SALE 1 TILLOTSON (1963 VINTAGE) HOME MADE METERING SIDE GASKET (2013 VINTAGE) - 1 OWNER FROM NEW.

Edited by mikerecike

Another busy weekend, refurbed a Stihl 020T - pressure and vac tested - the picture shows why I keep banging on about these tests - the crank shaft seal on the oil pump side had a big airleak - put a new seal in and the flywheel one was leaking slightly and then got worse on pushing on the shaft - the seal has gone hard so replaced them both!

This will be the third Stihl topper I now have for sale:thumbup:

597662fc50ec7_finishedsaw.jpg.371aa9942f2d788f8858db34f97178e0.jpg

597662fc4ec8a_CrankSealleak.jpg.540c1ef793bd280d58dd4faf36c242d3.jpg