What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Thanks for that Bob, the saw has your name on it. Look forward to seeing you over the christmas period.

The next saw will be put up this evening, folks, its a Mcculloch 7-38 so it wont be to everyones taste, but will be cheap.

I think it ought to go on a new thread where anyone can offer similar items with the money going to The Childrens Trust.

I am struggling to find a catchy title for thread, any ideas anyone?

Hey all im back again this time with my Ms181. I was flaking about on youtube about muffler mods so i thought id give mine ago. i took the exhaust off. but quickly realised i didnt have a baldy what i was doing but i had a look in my cylinder and noticed oil on the piston below the rings. is this normal or nowt to worry about?

20121211_183041.jpg.988acc4e593f4a916473df859395923e.jpg

Hey all im back again this time with my Ms181. I was flaking about on youtube about muffler mods so i thought id give mine ago. i took the exhaust off. but quickly realised i didnt have a baldy what i was doing but i had a look in my cylinder and noticed oil on the piston below the rings. is this normal or nowt to worry about?

It is usual to have a mix of oil and fuel around the piston, if you are seeing the brown colour of the piston below the rings, this is blow by and is reasonably usual on higher hour machines, it is caused by the exhaust gases colouring the piston below the rings. It is better if the piston is clean as it means the piston is sealing properly but as long as you have decent compression, wouldn't worry about it!

Hi GardenKit, the saw is only two years old and is used infrequently maybe a couple of days a month on nowt heavy, sometimes can be left dormant for two months. It runs excellent so I guess I have nowt to worry about :) thanks!

I guess that comment was really for Spud......

But whilst we are on the subject.......wait for it..........(Spud knows where this is going)

The use of stale petrol can lead to dirty combustion, which in turn can cause the discolouring you have found.

Keeping your petrol fresh will help, it will burn cleaner and develop more power than stale. Anything over 30 days old can be classed as 'stale'

And......here we go....the use of Aspen 2 is ideal for someone in your situation. It remains fresh for up to 5 years and burns much more cleanly than even fresh petrol.