What's on your bench today?

spudulike

2 hours ago, Will C said:

You sure I wasn’t right on the cause of using engine oil instead of 2 stroke 🧐  I’ve ever seen one like that! Amazed it still ran at all.

They currently use Stihl red 2t oil.........I think they run it on the rich side and don't run the engine flat out as often as they should. They tend to use it in quite compact areas so blip the throttle on and off around sensitive cut areas. Deffo not 4-stroke engine oil tho. In the end it was so bad it would only start and then only idle....really badly

25 minutes ago, Craigb said:

With a bit of carb adjustment the 346 runs great. Not cutting anything because I want the new ring and piston to bed in. However it is leaking bar oil like a sieve.

When you run it, run it flat out for short periods of hard running to bed it in.....don't let it idle for long periods or give it less welly than normal. Just avoid long cuts.

The oil leak...they do do that. Probably the easiest fix is a new oil pick up pipe but if you have some liquid gasket and a selection of small O rings, you can often get a good seal using both instead of the new part.

Best get it fixed, done my one recently after it covered my garage floor with oil...again....but it is the best saw to use...the best of the best but it isn't completely standard!!

33 minutes ago, spudulike said:

When you run it, run it flat out for short periods of hard running to bed it in.....don't let it idle for long periods or give it less welly than normal. Just avoid long cuts.

The oil leak...they do do that. Probably the easiest fix is a new oil pick up pipe but if you have some liquid gasket and a selection of small O rings, you can often get a good seal using both instead of the new part.

Best get it fixed, done my one recently after it covered my garage floor with oil...again....but it is the best saw to use...the best of the best but it isn't completely standard!!

I’ll run it in properly tomorrow. Had it idling for 10 minutes and periodically blipped the throttle for a few seconds. I thought it might have been the metal cover that wasn’t putting enough pressure on the two sides of the pipe work that sandwiches the oil pump end. Where exactly would I put the o ring or the liquid gasket?

You take the pickup pipe off and de-grease the hole and the pickup pipes, remove the filter, put a suitable O ring on the pipe the filter goes on and push it over the larger round end that usually seals on the crankcase. Use a bit of liquid gasket on the o ring and the case and push it in to place then slide the oil pump in to place etc.

It’s been sat now for a good 2 hours and not a drip. Only happened when it was running. The pipe to the bar might be slightly blocked or the pump is playing up. There was oil on the bar but not loads. I reckon it might be the pipe to the bar.

• Like 1

Oleo Mac 956/Efco 156 with a medium toasted piston.

Not a fun saw to work on. No idea why anybody would design an intake boot like that.

This saw's got a ton of sentimental value but I'm skint and parts are expensive. Don't suppose anybody has a x56/x61/x62 parts saw out there?