What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I've just been offered the following:

I ship the wreck to Taiwan, postage paid by manufacturer.

They examine it.

If they find their manufacturing at fault I get paid £300 as a contribution to replace my broken machine.

If they find my installing/handling/whatever-ing at fault they pay me £150 for the wreck as I'm not allowed to take any parts other than bar and chain off. (Not even in-related parts)

Seems a sound deal to me?

Sorry for more questions, just had a closer look at the photos, the gudgeon pin lug on one half of the piston looks good, the other is shattered, the remainder of the piston lug and the gudgeon pin on the top of the crankcase looks like the pin has come out of the hole it should sit in - it looks like either the circlip has come out or been left out and the pin has started to ride out and eventually it has come out far enough to come out of one of its locating holes and with that, the engine has detonated in a big way as the piston gudgeon pin is only supported by half of the piston.

Make any sense - you said the circlips were in place but the picture shows otherwise:confused1:

Sorry for more questions, just had a closer look at the photos, the gudgeon pin lug on one half of the piston looks good, the other is shattered, the remainder of the piston lug and the gudgeon pin on the top of the crankcase looks like the pin has come out of the hole it should sit in - it looks like either the circlip has come out or been left out and the pin has started to ride out and eventually it has come out far enough to come out of one of its locating holes and with that, the engine has detonated in a big way as the piston gudgeon pin is only supported by half of the piston.

Make any sense - you said the circlips were in place but the picture shows otherwise:confused1:

Good point, the circlip is missing from the bit of piston that snapped off?

There's no marks on the pin though, and none on the cylinder where it might have snagged.

I'm certain I put it in though, my finger still hurts at the memory of it!

Good point, the circlip is missing from the bit of piston that snapped off?

There's no marks on the pin though, and none on the cylinder where it might have snagged.

I'm certain I put it in though, my finger still hurts at the memory of it!

Just checked the standard piston, with a circlip missing and the gudgeon pin pushed out till it is damn close to the cylinder, the other end of the pin is unsupported by the other side of the piston

I am pretty sure it is a circlip problem - either left off, sprung out, fell out etc the pin then worked itself out of one side of the piston putting a load of pressure on the other side which fractured and the flailing rod smashed the cylinder.

The manufacturers offer sounds pretty good to me.

Soon to have a Briggs n stratton engine on the workshop bench. It has developed a very bad running issue. It is almost as if there is a valve sticking issue or a piece of crud floating about keeping a valve open. It is fine on idle but on full throttle and with the blade engaged it is going for gold on the bad running front.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHDellxjkQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUboL4WeJ-hu-zi3YsbTTddA]Very sick DR 1 - YouTube[/ame]

015.jpg.5b98a0c4058a73bd967b53c677e9dd09.jpg

013.jpg.cea821ba08d3c696cb0261512f10bc1b.jpg

012.jpg.174725a5ab1ba7eea757adf6b5163788.jpg

011.jpg.142d25d2356ce55c5583f9a06845f9fe.jpg

How long was it running with the big bore kit on it rover

Sorry to see a saw in that mess

It had ran for maybe two or three hours in total and it ran really nice...

As a matter of interest Rover did you install the stihl or big bore kit circlips?

I used the clips that came with the kit. I know people often say the clips and rings with the aftermarket kits are of a lesser quality, but the quality of this one seemed really high, a really fine finish on all the castings etc.

Right, ran the 090 contra through a log, revs kept dropping, will rip the muffler off in a bit to check that, check the plug, and the decomp valve, as I don't like this old design

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

How have you tuned it?

My 090 did thd same when first tuned and in wood.

Started from scratch as per manual. Found i had the h screw leaned out too much.

8k max rpm. Mines tached 7250 give or take.

Now runs like a raped Gorrilla!!

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F

Edited by Big Beech

How have you tuned it?

My 090 did thd same when first tuned and in wood.

Started from scratch as per manual. Found i had the h screw leaned out too much.

8k max rpm. Mines tached 7250 give or take.

The plug is black, so I assume its still rich, but I'll turn it back to what it was, haven't tried taching it in the wood yet

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App