What's on your bench today?

spudulike

On my bench today is a husqvarna 240R strimmer that my mother (age 72) decided to use over the weekend with straight petrol (no 2 stroke oil)! Aaarrrrrrhhhhh!!!! She realised her error after about 10 minutes when the machine cut out and wouldn't restart.

The piston isn't seized, and moves freely in the barrel, but it won't start for toffee. Any advice would be most welcome ;- Some sons do have em ;-)

We had a lot of overheating/seizing problems with these yet my 165r kept going since 1974.

Anyway if the cylinder is stamped MAHLER 42ZD9 I have a pot and piston, unused but many years old ( or does this contravene rules as an advert?)

We had a lot of overheating/seizing problems with these yet my 165r kept going since 1974.

Anyway if the cylinder is stamped MAHLER 42ZD9 I have a pot and piston, unused but many years old ( or does this contravene rules as an advert?)

Not really...just do any sale etc via PM rather than doing it in open forum....if the part is correct:thumbup:

Not on my bench but I must get down to getting this running, the grass is getting pretty long here.

An old MTD ride on mower that despite having a brand new fully charged battery will not turn over. I have removed the plugs and it turns ok then.

I thought it would be an earthing problem but have run a separate lead from the negative on the battery to the starter housing but no success.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370418923.358335.jpg.8c51b32c4453fca6cdb86d6114f429ad.jpg

What should I try next?

Thanks

John

Could be the flywheel key.

Does it even try and turn, or not.

If the flywheel key has gone ad the flywheel is a few degrees out it will try and fire wrong.

Strange that without the plug in it turns. I would turn it back on the flywheel a bit and then try the key. If it pushes the engine up ad then stops try the flywheel.

Other than that he starter may be worn and turning it to compression and not having the oomph to keep turning it.

Not on my bench but I must get down to getting this running, the grass is getting pretty long here.

An old MTD ride on mower that despite having a brand new fully charged battery will not turn over. I have removed the plugs and it turns ok then.

I thought it would be an earthing problem but have run a separate lead from the negative on the battery to the starter housing but no success.

[ATTACH]125774[/ATTACH]

What should I try next?

Thanks

John

Hi, when you said "it turns over" do you mean by hand?

If it won't crank on the starter motor.

1st check if when the key is in the crank position you have live to the starter. Red lead held on with a nut shown in your picture.

If not, see if you have live to the solenoid from the battery.

Then hold the key in the crank position and test the other terminal leading to the starter. You should also hear a clonk from the solenoid.

If you have no clonk then check the small wire for live when the key is in crank.

If you have live on the small wire and into the solenoid from the battery then the solenoid is faulty.

If there is no live on the small wire your fault is with the starter switch or safety switch system.

Hope this helps

Eddie

Hi, when you said "it turns over" do you mean by hand?

If it won't crank on the starter motor.

1st check if when the key is in the crank position you have live to the starter. Red lead held on with a nut shown in your picture.

If not, see if you have live to the solenoid from the battery.

Then hold the key in the crank position and test the other terminal leading to the starter. You should also hear a clonk from the solenoid.

If you have no clonk then check the small wire for live when the key is in crank.

If you have live on the small wire and into the solenoid from the battery then the solenoid is faulty.

If there is no live on the small wire your fault is with the starter switch or safety switch system.

Hope this helps

Eddie

The other think is the gear on top of the starter motor my be jamming in the flywheel teeth. change it if it has any damage DO NOT OIL OR GREASE IT.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Without the plugs in to engine turns over on the switch as if there is no problem. Put the plugs in an it is if the battery low. I have tried various batteries all fully charged but have the same problem. I think it is a starter motor problem. Do they have brushes?

John

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1370449745.039448.jpg.590a9e3c2f4ba465919e3a145ba56f3c.jpg

Seems like this is going on the bench for some new belts, they gave in 2 stumps from the end of the contract, we had already ground out about 20, oh and the exhaust fell off too! It never rains but it pours!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1370449733.289394.jpg.eec9d1e27f9f83530597a21d11c64637.jpg