What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hi all

Thinking of investing in an US cleaner and contemplating a new tach (currrently have a 3 quid chinese tiny tach thing - it may be spot on - dunno??).

Any guidance recommendation for a US cleaner for carbs and a decent tach (if worth it - opinion canvassed)

Does a US cleaner mean you don't use carb cleaner - what's the reason for using one?

Many thanks

If it is a Tiny Tach than it is a decent quality US made bit of kit - the best ones have built in aerials and can just be held near the engine to take the reading - mine was £75 and worth every penny - I can tach by ear but some of the real ported screamers are not easy to get right!

I use carb cleaner and a US cleanerleaving the carb in white spirit in the cleaner and intermittently blasting the cleaner down the H&L screw holes.

The US cleaner is good at deep cleaning carbs rather than relying on a quick blast of cleaner - I have resurrected some pretty dodgy MS200T carbs in the past when the usual and not so usual fixes haven't solved problems.

They are not "fix alls" but are useful bits of kit to have and allow you to clean whilst you do something else.

I only have a cheapie that can just about take a larger carb - if I purchased again I may take one with a more powerful output but am happy with the way it cleans the parts I put in it - it won't make anything gleam but will soften up and remove any resins or crap in the carb when also used with cleaner.

Word of warning, htese machines produce heat and will produce spirit vapour, get it too hot and in may ignight:thumbdown:

Thanks gardenkit.

On same saw the chain is running at an idle of 1200rpm according to my tiny tach - manual says it shouldnt turn untill 3000ish rpm - does this mean the clutch needs attention? worn springs?

thanks folks

Worn clutch springs are indeed the main cause of a chain running on, also a build up of dirt inside the clutch drum can cause drag, as can a siezing or poorly lubricated needle bearing. Give the clutch an overhaul.

I am a bit surprised you can get the saw to run as low as 1200rpm especially with the power to turn the chain. I would be a bit suspicious of your Chiny Tack.

Im curious about the ultra sonic cleaning units. Have read up on them a bit, jewellry, dental equipment cleaners etc. Would be good if a few more offered comments on what they have got.

Show us your sonic cleaners.:thumbup:

I was thinking today about something I had read, It says they will work in cracks and narrow spaces. Would I be expecting too much to put chipper blades in and then find fatigues in them. Or am I expecting too much?

Im curious about the ultra sonic cleaning units. Have read up on them a bit, jewellry, dental equipment cleaners etc. Would be good if a few more offered comments on what they have got.

Show us your sonic cleaners.:thumbup:

I was thinking today about something I had read, It says they will work in cracks and narrow spaces. Would I be expecting too much to put chipper blades in and then find fatigues in them. Or am I expecting too much?

I use an Ultrawave. i bought it before they became as popular as they are now and it cost me about £600. I think I could get one for about 1/3 of that now.

I keep it on the bench with fluid in it ready to go.

However, I personally would not use a flammable liquid in it, it is much too risky and I value my shed and its contents too much.

In theory you could use just water, but it contains too many little air bubbles for the cavitation process to work efficiently, so the addition of a detergent helps to 'wet' the surface to be cleaned and assist in dispersal of dislodged material. Various detergents are available, but for our business which involves aluminium parts (carbs) you need an alakaline one as the acid based ones are too caustic and will dissolve the aluminium.

It is best to clean the outside of objects thoroughly before putting in the US or the fluid becomes contaminated quickly.

I dont think it will aid in crack detection.

Can we stop talking about crack detection - it sounds a bit gay:lol:

Suggest oou go to the local builders site - lots of cracks on display there.......just above their jeans backside :lol:

Just got a load more work in, six MS200Ts, a blower, a Stihl 023, a Stihl 024, Husky 45, McCullock Evolution and the old KM100 that I still have in bits - may just leave it that way:blushing::lol: