What's on your bench today?

spudulike

It depends on what saw it is as some are difficult but there is a good chance the seals will be OK even if the saw is split. The flywheel side is generally softer on the seal than the clutch side so if you can leave the crank in the clutch side, it would be better as the seal is unlikely to get damaged on the crank tapered end.

Yeah - TS400!!

Bugger! 50/50 and I went with pulling the clutch side off. Although I do have the installation sleeve, so I can avoid catching it on the clutch threads on the crank. I'll have to wait on another case gasket before I can put it back together. I may as well order another kit including oil seals just in case.

Bugger! 50/50 and I went with pulling the clutch side off. Although I do have the installation sleeve, so I can avoid catching it on the clutch threads on the crank. I'll have to wait on another case gasket before I can put it back together. I may as well order another kit including oil seals just in case.

You could try it, pressure and vac test after reassembly but guess for the price of a new set of seals.......

What's on the bench...........MS200 for a new accelerator pump and carb tune - now done, an 046 bogging and lack of power - new fuel filter, carb overhaul and check, new tank breather and pressure/vac checks.

346XP seized, cylinder now cleaned and piston on order - route cause...split manifold!

365 - seized, ported 357XP in for a service after being severely used for ringing up tonnes of timber, an 088 for new AV and needle clutch bearing, a 076 for a new carb kit, a 576 and 560XP to go on the diagnostic as both are suffering from lack of high speed power.

I am a little busy:001_rolleyes::lol:

357xp for pot/piston replacement (old one run without oil and has patches of lost lining so not fixable).

Tried out a few Huztl cylinders for cheapo saws over the last 6 months (017s/023/025 and 345 type of level) all with good results.

Thought I'd try something for a bigger saw so ordered one for the 357. Arrived today and is complete poop. Paid less than £20, so no big deal, but it ends my Huztl experiments which is a shame.

Every one of those marks towards the top of the cylinder is raised.

Oh well.

:001_smile:

IMG_20151024_160734.jpg

357xp for pot/piston replacement (old one run without oil and has patches of lost lining so not fixable).

I've never seen a nikasil where the lining has flaked off through a seizure, only when a piece of debris or snapped ring has scored through it.

Indeed has anyone seen nikasil worn through by long use?

It's remarkable stuff, I am told it is only 4 thou thick and I seem to remember the smallest ridge a finger tip can sense is 1/2 thou.

I've never seen a nikasil where the lining has flaked off through a seizure, only when a piece of debris or snapped ring has scored through it.

Indeed has anyone seen nikasil worn through by long use?

It's remarkable stuff, I am told it is only 4 thou thick and I seem to remember the smallest ridge a finger tip can sense is 1/2 thou.

I've never seen a hole like this apart from clumsy repair attempts with acid. Not sure if that's the case since the saw wasn't in my keeping when it was wrecked.

Husqvarna power cutter with poor filter maintance if you want to see what happens to nikasil.

Have you any pictures?

See below the ms260 after I've dissolved away the ally pick up, the circumferential scores are from wet and dry. I don't know wheter the black marks are missing nikasil but they don't feel even a thou deep.

I'll reassemble it with just new rings as it has a few other faults , a broken rear handle, broken ignition switch and missing chain catcher, so I'll see how it runs before spending out on it.

scores.jpg.06447f7fb6219c60b734945595919950.jpg