What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Yes, 1 & ! on the H&L screws, I bypassed the brass governer as my saw is modified and couldnt get it off very heavy fourstroking.

If the idle screw is turned right out and nothing is holding the throttle open, the saw should not still idle. If it does, it is likely one of the crank seals has failed, probably the clutch side one but change both.

As ADW says, the fuel line often fails where it pushes through the tank so replace it.

These saws can be made to run very well, reckon mine would match a standard 395 on a 24":thumbup:

This nearly ended up on your bench spud after 2days of pulling my arm out trying to get her to start and run (now realise how easy my 188hybrid is to start with a decomp!) It still might get sent down your way for a bit of fine tuning and porting work at some point if you're game spud?.

Anyway I got "phil" running today, despite a sore arm. I can now rebuild the recoil in about 2mins having snapped the rope 4 times in the last two days. Today i toddled off to the local mower place, grabbed a few metres of new rope and a new plug just for good measure. Having yesterday removed the piston and cylinder to check for anything untoward having failed to start/run for more than a few seconds i think i finally found root cause, the spade terminal on the coil next to the carb was loose to the point it must have been making partial contact but any vibration must have caused a bad connection. A tweak with some pliers and some contact cleaner later and we're in business! Yipee phil lives! Spent a bit of time dialling it in with the 18" bar off the other saw and it seems to go quite well. Just need to find some decent wood to give it a work out. Here it is after a thorough clean up and a touch of vht paint on the black bits. Lastly i just need to find a replacement brake handle (brake works fine) or a new complete cover, anyone know if the newer plastic lever type will fit? Plenty on ebay for about 30quid.

20150606_201852.jpg.94c6d84ffcbabe1eda3effb302f3db87.jpg

20150606_201841.jpg.af5834f0a6e00620fcf792dff64de7e0.jpg

20150606_201833.jpg.ae09d004b6579ba072b7ecfd2796c6a0.jpg

I was watching that 281XP, did he really only charge £4.89 postage?

I had one a few years back, nice solid saw.

If your oil pump is knackered, give me a shout as I've got a new one knocking around somewhere. Bought it for mine then managed to fix the existing one.

Hi Dan,

Yes he did, arrived at my local post office with 24" bar and chain in place, wrapped in a couple of layers of cardboard and a couple of bin liners, i was gobsmacked theyd accept something saw shaped 3ft long and about 10kg!

Im pretty pleased for 130quid all in, my 181 cost me nearly double that a few months ago.

This nearly ended up on your bench spud after 2days of pulling my arm out trying to get her to start and run (now realise how easy my 188hybrid is to start with a decomp!) It still might get sent down your way for a bit of fine tuning and porting work at some point if you're game spud?.

Anyway I got "phil" running today, despite a sore arm. I can now rebuild the recoil in about 2mins having snapped the rope 4 times in the last two days. Today i toddled off to the local mower place, grabbed a few metres of new rope and a new plug just for good measure. Having yesterday removed the piston and cylinder to check for anything untoward having failed to start/run for more than a few seconds i think i finally found root cause, the spade terminal on the coil next to the carb was loose to the point it must have been making partial contact but any vibration must have caused a bad connection. A tweak with some pliers and some contact cleaner later and we're in business! Yipee phil lives! Spent a bit of time dialling it in with the 18" bar off the other saw and it seems to go quite well. Just need to find some decent wood to give it a work out. Here it is after a thorough clean up and a touch of vht paint on the black bits. Lastly i just need to find a replacement brake handle (brake works fine) or a new complete cover, anyone know if the newer plastic lever type will fit? Plenty on ebay for about 30quid.

Yes, they are a bit hard to pull over, porting will up the compression so don't expect it to get any easier but if they run well, they should start relatively easily!

I can port it whenever you like, I compared mine to a 394XP in standard trim and it seemed to have more go in it to me:thumbup:

You cannot fit the plastic hand guard, this was only fitted to the inethia brakes, you may struggle to get a hand guard for it, all the parts for the old brake are noe obsolete, i will check some old bits i have for that brake, but be aware there are no bands available for it so if the budget will go for it fit the later chain brake.

You cannot fit the plastic hand guard, this was only fitted to the inethia brakes, you may struggle to get a hand guard for it, all the parts for the old brake are noe obsolete, i will check some old bits i have for that brake, but be aware there are no bands available for it so if the budget will go for it fit the later chain brake.

Thanks ADW, some extensive googling revealed no metal hand guards anywhere so i think im down to buying a complete side cover and brake assembly, i assume the plastic type will drop straight on? Same mounting etc? If not then it might be time to break out the tig welder and fab a new handle, thankfully it does all seem to be steel.

Cheers, tom.

Put this 026 I bought on eBay back together after stripping it down completely, all except splitting the crankcase. I'm pretty sure it had been used with veg oil as it was caked on real hard and took some cleaning. Anyway took it to work and it runs great, just one thingImageUploadedByArbtalk1433713279.093229.jpg.e77a12c1ad344f0468fc01edcefb3df5.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1433713294.351115.jpg.731919d6d47d6b6a0e4139cb3cccae9f.jpg

The thread had stripped in this hole so I drilled it out and tried to stick a nut in with araldite but is didn't work. Is there a good adhesive/ filler I can use to stick the nut in?

Thanks will

Put this 026 I bought on eBay back together after stripping it down completely, all except splitting the crankcase. I'm pretty sure it had been used with veg oil as it was caked on real hard and took some cleaning. Anyway took it to work and it runs great, just one thing[ATTACH]183767[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]183768[/ATTACH]

The thread had stripped in this hole so I drilled it out and tried to stick a nut in with araldite but is didn't work. Is there a good adhesive/ filler I can use to stick the nut in?

Thanks will

Use a helicoil or insert if the hole is too large for the helicoil.

Have you got the original bolt and cup washer for the brake handle. It was missing on my 036 and a replacement had been fitted with a plain washer. I bought a proper one and it was twice as long as it looked like it should be so there might still be some thread at the bottom of the hole in yours.

I had this problem with a 260. If you have drilled the broken bit out carefully, you should be able to tap it to 5mm, get a new bolt and cup washer, knock out the bolt and drill the washer to 5mm. Fit 5mm bolt of same length. Sorted!